Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fire Extinguishers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Fire Extinguishers

Was wondering how many of you guys keep a fire extinguisher in your car and in the garage? I currently have a 15 dollar cheapo powder version in the garage but not in the car. After doing some research, I ordered a couple of extinguishers from Hiller Systems (free shipping if ordered online). Instead of the water/foam/powder extinguishers, I ordered a 1.25lb for the car and 2.5lb for the garage but w/recycled Halon or Halotron. These are the same that are used for computer rooms. They don't leave a residue behind and are a nice alternative to the powder or residue mess if you need to put out a fuel or electrical fire out. If interested, the links are below. Just wanted to share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher

http://www.h3r.com/

http://www.hillersystemsinc.com/

Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fire Extinguishers

Perfect timing...just moved into a bigger house and garage and the subject of fire extinguishers came up....thanks. Quick off-topic question: do the fog lights supplement the regular headlight illumination significantly? I considered the GT light bar but went with Hella 55w halogen fog's in the grill on my 66 as a temp fix when the headlights were acting up (since fixed). The euro lamps work great but are very nonstandard looking (but then so is the hood ornament!). I know about the relay option for improving headlights and I'll get to that someday.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20213/34A216D7294A43A68DE3154032ADC6A4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

I would say they definitely help especially since I am using factory style replacement bulbs. FoMoCo script headlights and the "FOG" marking on the fog lights. They look original but not that bright compared to modern bulbs/systems.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I have a small apc extinguisher mounted on center hump. Its polished finish and I think its a nice addition to the car as well as an addition to safety (plus all the little chitlens at car shows think its a nitrous tank hahaha)
Old 08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Them thar sukers are a bit on the pricy side.. [X(]
Old 08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I would like one like mojoes but it isn't exaclty on my list of things to do very soon.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Briguy

You made a wise choice with halotron! You have to watch out with those cheap extinguishers, not only can they cause more demage to your car than the fire itself, the market is saturated with non-tested, non-UL aproved extinguishers from overseas that have been recalled in TX and CA by the State Fire Marshal. The links below will take you to places to buy quailty extinguishers that are made in the USA and information about the State Fire Marshal actions.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/where_to_buy.htm

http://www.h3rperformance.com/press_2006_03_20.htm
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I have to admit, I have never had a fire extinguisher in a car. I have always had one in the garage/shop but not in the car. Knock on wood, I haven't ever had a fire in a car. But, now you have me thinking.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Briguy

I would not put one in a Yugo but I protect any vehicle that I have significant monetary or emotional attachment to with one! And, the garage that stores them as well.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:04 AM
ypeddler

Take it from me. Had my 66 vert back from the shop three weeks and the engine caught fire (failed gas line) had I not had a fire extinguisher in the back seat. I would have lost 3 years of restoration work and a lot more than the cost of $150 fire extinguisher. Throwing a shirt on it just adds fuel to a gasoline fire.

Put a fire extinguisher in your car today. That is why MCA automatically deducts points during judging.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguishers