Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Why would the radio and alarm stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default Why would the radio and alarm stop working?

My car has been at the body shop for 3 weeks and I got it back today. I noticed right away the stereo didn't work. I turned it on, the volume says it's at 19, yet there is no sound. I believe they disconnected the battery (they claim they didn't) because when I turned it on, it had lost all settings and went to the AM default station.

Not only that, when I went to set the alarm (purchased here from Stangman) it would not set.

I brought it to my stereo/alarm guy and he didn't have time to do much today, but said there was definitely power from the battery as the stereo was working.

WHAT could the body shop have done? They claim, of course, they never disconnected the battery. My stereo/alarm guy says he needs to pull the dash and get underneath to see if they did something to the speaker wires (the didn't work on the dash at all). But, why would the alarm not work? It's not a wired alarm.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why would the radio and alarm stop working?

Does your stereo system have any kind of subwoofer or is there any cable that goes from the positive bat. lead to an amplifier or something like that. If you have any sort of amplifier or powered stereo system that uses a cable off the battery...if they finaggled with it that could be why your not getting any sound.

Edit:
You also said they didn't mess with the dash at all....what DID they mess with? Are any of the areas they were around near your speakers? Could have knocked the connectors of those as well
Old 08-10-2006, 08:18 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

It's a Secret Audio unit I've only had a month (and it's been at the body shop for 3 weeks of that). The body shop didn't really do any interior work other than install new rocker panels and scuff panels, and a new engine bezel. There is NO reason they should have disconnected the battery, and the mechanic who did the most work on it said they didn't. The guy who did the body work is on vacation and not due back until Monday.

Both the radio and alarm don't work. The alarm is simply stickied onto the shock tower so there is no wiring at all, so technically, it should work.

I can't imagine what they would have touched to disconnect the battery. Under the engine they only worked on the carb and the rest of the work was under the car itself.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
428coupe
2nd Gear Member

They replaced the rocker panels? If that is the case they should have unhooked the battery because they would be welding. It is always good to unhook the battery when welding to the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I didn't realize those were welded .... that could be the case then. If that's the case, and he disconnected the battery -- why won't my alarm and radio work?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Went to the body shop today and like I thought, the rocker panels aren't welded on, they go on with clips.

I talked to one kid who had no clue what was done to the car (the guy who worked on it is on vacatoin) and had no idea why the radio and alarm would not work.

When I explained the alarm wasn't wired but simply stickied on and senses vibration, he really was confused.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:00 PM
428coupe
2nd Gear Member

The actual rocker panels are sheet metal and are welded in. You must have gotten the trim replaced...I misunderstood.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

make sure you have a good ground for both
Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

So they could have "disrupted" the ground when doing their work?

I really hate to drop cash to have the stereo guy figure out what's wrong when the body shop broke it. Of course, they claim they never disconnected the battery, but I won't be able to talk to the actual body shop guy until Monday morning.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Radio stopped working because when they installed the rocker panels, they put a screw through the speaker wires. The body shop said they'd take care it for me so they'll reimburse me.

As for the alarm, it shorted out and died and they said it was a POS so it was expected.