Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Show quality

Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Show quality

Soaring, if you're trying to paint around the block like on the firewall and the towers and stuff, instead of using newspaper to mask off, try a plastic trash bag to work around your engine. Its a lil easier to conform around all the hoses and what not and still gives good protection.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Here's a link to my engine compartment, I'll still working on her! I took almost everything out except the engine! Not sure if you want to go that far! Also did all the grill brackets and the grill over! I'm not going for concourse, just a nice looking drive, because in a few years it will need to be redone again!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwager.../ph//my_photos
Old 08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

great work! which black paint did you use? also, what type of intake manifold is that? looks sharp.

ORIGINAL: 1965MustangFastback

Here's a link to my engine compartment, I'll still working on her! I took almost everything out except the engine! Not sure if you want to go that far! Also did all the grill brackets and the grill over! I'm not going for concourse, just a nice looking drive, because in a few years it will need to be redone again!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwager.../ph//my_photos
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

I used two types of black paint, the engine compartment I used the semi-black by Krylon and for horns, and grill brackets I used Eastwoods semi-gloss black it's a little darker than Krylons! I also used Eastwoods natural spray paint for the master cylinder and hood latch, hood hinges and the power steering box with a little clear over them! I don’t have the original power steering pump so I decided to paint that the color of my car, got the paint from Tower Paints and paint the engine Gloss black, also bought the 65 Mustang grill paint! And the radiator I used Eastwoods gloss black. The intake manifold is a Weiand Stealth, the one thing I should have done was buy the complete under the hood bolt kit from AMK instead I bought bolts here and there! Next time I'll just purchase the whole dam kit in one shoot. A lot of cleaning supplies and tape, one tip I do have is instead of using tape to cover the wiring, use aluminum foil, this way you don’t have to worry about the tape sticking and then you end up cleaning glue, it makes life easier! Oh, yeah! buy sheets to cover the car, I also used big sheets of plastic!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM
PhillyDog88
1st Gear Member

Aluminum foil!!! Great idea. that sounds much better than tape and newspaper.
I'm starting to get more and more motivated now
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

great tip with the foil. i fought that exact same thing with tape on wires. won't come off, then had to use goo gone once i finally got it removed for the glue.

I bought all new bolts from AMK this winter. I wasn't about to redo all of that crap. the nice thing is that they have the correct markings and the phosphate and oil won't chip like paint. just put wd40 on them periodically.

ORIGINAL: 1965MustangFastback

I used two types of black paint, the engine compartment I used the semi-black by Krylon and for horns, and grill brackets I used Eastwoods semi-gloss black it's a little darker than Krylons! I also used Eastwoods natural spray paint for the master cylinder and hood latch, hood hinges and the power steering box with a little clear over them! I don’t have the original power steering pump so I decided to paint that the color of my car, got the paint from Tower Paints and paint the engine Gloss black, also bought the 65 Mustang grill paint! And the radiator I used Eastwoods gloss black. The intake manifold is a Weiand Stealth, the one thing I should have done was buy the complete under the hood bolt kit from AMK instead I bought bolts here and there! Next time I'll just purchase the whole dam kit in one shoot. A lot of cleaning supplies and tape, one tip I do have is instead of using tape to cover the wiring, use aluminum foil, this way you don’t have to worry about the tape sticking and then you end up cleaning glue, it makes life easier! Oh, yeah! buy sheets to cover the car, I also used big sheets of plastic!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
SpudRacer
1st Gear Member

I'll be taking our 66' GT Convertible to the 33rd Annual Cherokee, NC show on Sept 23rd. I hope I do better than Soaring!! I also hope it doesn't rain. I think Trailer Queens should be shown on their trailers, those who DRIVE to shows should get extra points and considerations. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

trailer queens are the train spotter/stamp collectors of the car world why have a car and not drive the bugger
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187

trailer queens are the train spotter/stamp collectors of the car world why have a car and not drive the bugger
$$$$$
Old 08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Leighky
1st Gear Member

soaring, I think this is a problem faced by all people who actually drive their classics. One thing we have found is called calyx manifold dressing. Those rusty stock manifolds can really stand out and cause the engine bay to look real dirty. So I took a picture of the little container it comes in and also I took some pics of the 1 side I have used it on and also the other side that has not been cleaned with it yet. And its pretty easy to do. I just used a tootbrush to apply and rub it in. Only prob you might face is getting your hand to some of the spots, expecially on the drivers side.

www.calyxmanifold.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/44662/9A8E43AE141D418D8EC5E95DBC44830F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44662/17A697ACCC694DFD9627D725D46B248D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44662/BB2ADA540F16432181B16F2BAE7F0530.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show quality