Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bondo nightmare

Old 08-13-2006, 04:16 PM
19tony67
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Bondo nightmare

Well, it looks like to me that the roof was rotted out probably because it had a vinyl back on it originally. My `67 coupe has a hole bunch of 1/8" and smaller pin holes all threw the roof about 6" from the drip rails front to back.

As far as your drivers rear quarter and drip rail.....it looks like you really need to find a doner car just for the quater and rail.

Mine isn't as bad, but I bought a doner car a long while ago for the same reason. I just had the hole car Media blasted, (which might be cheaper depending which is closer to you) and their going to unlead the roof and the four posts and replace it all.

My opinion would be, the drip rail and quarter are better off being replaced for sure, and if the roof welds bother you, then find that doner car and do it right!!!!

I know that you always going to have puddy, but you want to try and keep it to a minimum. That has been my hole philosophy with my project...I don't want to have to do it again, EVER!

Good luck with everything. I don't know where you at, but If your near Pittsburgh, I can give you a GREAT referral for a Media Blasting place.....Me and my wife are both very impressed.

Hope everything works out with the car,
Tony

[IMG]local://upfiles/5758/40D96ECF30304C359A8487436C4D689A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5758/80D16FD60D9A4B588168649E0C0240B7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-13-2006, 05:11 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Bondo nightmare

Thanks for the reply tony

I am fairly sure the 1/4 has actually already been replaced its in good condition and I found a made on taiwan sticker on the passenger side haha! The area you pointed out up to the roof is crappy It's only the area in between the roof & 1/4 that is bad as far as I can tell. The drip rail is totally bad all over I would even just shave it if it came down to it, this car is going to be a restomod so it might even look better!

Do you think the media blasting process will get the surface rust that is in behind through to the backside of that area? I didn't think that it would thats why I was thinking maybe getting the car dipped would be the best option, but I really don't know for sure. I already have most of the bolt on parts off it. How much was the blasting down there?? It looks lke they got all under the dash and everything? Did they blast the bottom as well?

I have a restoration place here where I live (Ontario but thanks for the idea in Pittsburgh) and I am planning on having them do most of the paint and body work but I was trying to do as much as I could myself. I have called them to set up a meeting maybe they will have some ideas but I'm scared of what they are going to want for $$$$ like many of you I am not broke but I sure as hell an not rich either! And like you said I sure don't want to do it again!

Darcy