Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new door locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Musclecar fan_67
1st Gear Member

Default new door locks

ok i have my original door locks (1966 fb), but the the key to the doors aparently isnt the same as the ignition so i was just wanting to know you guy's opinions. should i get a locksmith to come to my house and make a key or just buy new locks? and where could i buy new locks? if anybody could post a link it would be awsome

-thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new door locks

I didn't think the ignition/locks were supposed to be the same key
Old 08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

the ignition and door locks are the same, the trunck is different. You can buy a new door lock/ignition lock set for about $30....cheaper than a locksmith
Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, check with any Mustang vendor for matching ignition and door locks with keys.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Take the locks out and take them to the locksmith. I was able to get 2 doors rekeyed for about $15. Go for the independents, they'll give you a better deal.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
SpudRacer
1st Gear Member

I ordered an Ign/Door lock set from Mustang Barn. Can't remember the exact cost. I just replaced the Ignition lock tumbler last night, was VERY easy and doesn't require tearing the dash apart at all. As for the door locks, I haven't changed them yet but will soon. You will pay a little more if you want original-appearing "Pony" keys, but not much more.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
edgars23
1st Gear Member

The Door and Ignition should be the same key. If they are two seperate keys than the locks were changed for one reason or another. You can go to a local locksmith and they should be able to rekey it for you, cheaper if you take the lock cylinders out and just take those in to the locksmith. I had a similar situation in my 67 coupe where the ignition key worked great but would not open the doors. Instead of re-keying the set, I just bought the Scott Drake one key set from my local Mustang shop for about $50 and installed it myself. Took about 45 minutes to install for someone who has never done anything with locks, not too bad. Now one key turns the ignition and opens the doors and the trunk. If you don't mind your key set not being an original FoMoCo part, it is the best way to go. Just my 2 cents.
-Edgar
Old 08-15-2006, 07:40 PM
67Rally
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: edgars23

The Door and Ignition should be the same key. If they are two seperate keys than the locks were changed for one reason or another. You can go to a local locksmith and they should be able to rekey it for you, cheaper if you take the lock cylinders out and just take those in to the locksmith. I had a similar situation in my 67 coupe where the ignition key worked great but would not open the doors. Instead of re-keying the set, I just bought the Scott Drake one key set from my local Mustang shop for about $50 and installed it myself. Took about 45 minutes to install for someone who has never done anything with locks, not too bad. Now one key turns the ignition and opens the doors and the trunk. If you don't mind your key set not being an original FoMoCo part, it is the best way to go. Just my 2 cents.
-Edgar
So you have one key for everything? I haven't seen that particular set anywhere. I am interested.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
edgars23
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it is a pretty cool set. It is Scott Drake item #C7AZ-6222050-MK
http://www.scottdrake.net/prod_detai...=7065&catdesc=

here is a link to it at Mustangs Plus
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...uct_Code=10568

It looks like the set is only for 67-69, but I don't see why a set for 64-66 wouldnt be coming out eventually. I think I paid $49.95 for my set at Classic Mustang Auto Supplies in Pico Rivera, Ca.

Sorry to the thread starter, I could've sworn they had a 64-66 kit available.

-Edgar
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: edgars23

Yeah, it is a pretty cool set. It is Scott Drake item #C7AZ-6222050-MK
http://www.scottdrake.net/prod_detai...=7065&catdesc=

here is a link to it at Mustangs Plus
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...uct_Code=10568

It looks like the set is only for 67-69, but I don't see why a set for 64-66 wouldnt be coming out eventually. I think I paid $49.95 for my set at Classic Mustang Auto Supplies in Pico Rivera, Ca.

Sorry to the thread starter, I could've sworn they had a 64-66 kit available.

-Edgar
there are 65-66 sets

Quick Reply: new door locks