Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Want 400HP out of you're 289??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Want 400HP out of you're 289??

the 289/302 blocks are duable for street driving up to about 500hp just ask the 5.0 guys they run crazy amount of power thru the stock shortblocks
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Yup, my block is casting# C8AE-6015-B which is a 302 block specifically used on 289's in the 1968 production run. They ran out of 289 blocks during that year in production when they were starting to switch over to the 302's. So, my short block will have the 302 block with a 289 crank just as it did in 1968.

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

the 289/302 blocks are duable for street driving up to about 500hp just ask the 5.0 guys they run crazy amount of power thru the stock shortblocks
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 AM
hutchamatic
2nd Gear Member

Don't get your feelings hurt on the chasis dyno. You will be dissappointed.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 AM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

Especially with a power eating AOD!! Use the dyno for a tuning tool only.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

NOBODY said 400 HP at the wheels, these numbers are at the crank. Also, to be perfectly clear, I did not say my 289 was going to have 400hp.. Mine WILL be in the area of 360HP / 380FT LB TQ... The posting above was a PROVEN way of getting that kind of HP at the CRANK from a 289 doing some minor work.

Also, I don't give a @#$% that the AOD eats more power than a C4 for example. My car is going to be a pavement pound-er, not a track car. I just sold my old combo which included a built C4. If I was going to do any track time I would have kept it.

Ya know, there are way too many people that just hang around just to dump on post that people put here. Some are interesting and some not. There are many that are valid and hold value with what they contain. Some just post stuff that they heard with nothing to back up their claim. This posting happens to have test results that backs up what I stated above. They all do have value especially when its a big magazine like Mustangs and Fords.

Furthermore, Back when the HIPO 289 was new, it was 271hp.. I guess that's BS too right? So, adding new heads, intake, headers and a cam would not net you 90 HP. Think about it..

ORIGINAL: EricButler

Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

I can't say that I disagree with your comments and I don't really know how much HP your motor will make. However, I would like to point out that some of the guys here have a wealth of information and experience gained over many years. I went over to the Comp Cams site to look at the specs for the xe262h-10 you are planning to use. They had a dyno sheet posted using a 356ci SBC (what else) set up much the same as your plan for your 289. Take a look at the numbers using a motor with 67ci more than yours. The torque reflects the increased ci but look at the HP even with the extra ci. http://www.compcams.com/information/...62H-10_001.asp
Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

You just hate me from the last go around that is fine but instead of attacking personaly I just stated a fact and was not trying to bring you down or you post down in any way. Sorry you feel that I tried to do that. I also didn't say anything about your engine not making what you think. I just stated a KNOWN fact that an AOD takes way more power to run then a manual or a C4 for that matter. I am speaking from experience here not just hear say or by reading a magazine. I have an AOD in my car and been to the Chassis dyno several times with mine. I never thought you meant 400 at the wheels either. My last sentence was also very true. Too many people get hung up on dyno numbers and that is not where its at. If you really want to know the power that you engine is making then there is NO better way to find out then just going to the track. Dyno's are a great tool nothing else. Good luck again with your setup. I am sure it will be a very nice runner something you will be happy with. peace!!!

ORIGINAL: slickman

NOBODY said 400 HP at the wheels, these numbers are at the crank. Also, to be perfectly clear, I did not say my 289 was going to have 400hp.. Mine WILL be in the area of 360HP / 380FT LB TQ... The posting above was a PROVEN way of getting that kind of HP at the CRANK from a 289 doing some minor work.

Also, I don't give a @#$% that the AOD eats more power than a C4 for example. My car is going to be a pavement pound-er, not a track car. I just sold my old combo which included a built C4. If I was going to do any track time I would have kept it.

Ya know, there are way too many people that just hang around just to dump on post that people put here. Some are interesting and some not. There are many that are valid and hold value with what they contain. Some just post stuff that they heard with nothing to back up their claim. This posting happens to have test results that backs up what I stated above. They all do have value especially when its a big magazine like Mustangs and Fords.

Furthermore, Back when the HIPO 289 was new, it was 271hp.. I guess that's BS too right? So, adding new heads, intake, headers and a cam would not net you 90 HP. Think about it..

Old 08-22-2006, 03:59 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I'm NOT saying that everyone on this forum does not know what they are talking about at ALL. What I am saying is that there are some that just like to shoot down someone else for what they ask or post. There has been many times someone on the forum does research on an idea and finds information they need on the Internet. Then post an additional question here with the information they have found somewhere else and he or she gets shot down.

It happens way too many times and most cases in a way that makes that person feel like dirt. Even if their information is correct.

ORIGINAL: 69FECoupe

I can't say that I disagree with your comments and I don't really know how much HP your motor will make. However, I would like to point out that some of the guys here have a wealth of information and experience gained over many years. I went over to the Comp Cams site to look at the specs for the xe262h-10 you are planning to use. They had a dyno sheet posted using a 356ci SBC (what else) set up much the same as your plan for your 289. Take a look at the numbers using a motor with 67ci more than yours. The torque reflects the increased ci but look at the HP even with the extra ci. http://www.compcams.com/information/...62H-10_001.asp
Old 08-22-2006, 04:06 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I don't hate you at all but I love a good debate. I just get aggravated when things are taken out of context. BTW, I'm one who believes in dyno results, this is how things are done in every racing type of event. That's were it all starts and the track is just used to take out variables that a computer can't possibly equate to in the figures.

BTW, at one point in our little debate in the other post, you did state something to the effect of 400 RWHP.. I corrected you in that post and that is what I was referring too in this post. Peace brother..

You just hate me from the last go around that is fine but instead of attacking personaly I just stated a fact and was not trying to bring you down or you post down in any way. Sorry you feel that I tried to do that. I also didn't say anything about your engine not making what you think. I just stated a KNOWN fact that an AOD takes way more power to run then a manual or a C4 for that matter. I am speaking from experience here not just hear say or by reading a magazine. I have an AOD in my car and been to the Chassis dyno several times with mine. I never thought you meant 400 at the wheels either. My last sentence was also very true. Too many people get hung up on dyno numbers and that is not where its at. If you really want to know the power that you engine is making then there is NO better way to find out then just going to the track. Dyno's are a great tool nothing else. Good luck again with your setup. I am sure it will be a very nice runner something you will be happy with. peace!!!

ORIGINAL: slickman

Old 08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Wow, its just an engine...

Doesnt everything about making power and measuring it, such as dynos, spring from the want or need to put it on a track and go faster than someone else? Be that track legal or not so legal in its function? Cars are variables, everything about them is different even if they came off the same line the same day. I know, its just info..

Why make more power if its not gonna be raced or driven hard? Eh splittin hairs and all, its just fun to talk about cars right?

Bad info isnt good to have, slightly inflated info still serves a purpose, and good info is like a goldmine if you can apply it.