Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The Ultimate Test of All the Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 PM
jdforsythe
1st Gear Member

Default The Ultimate Test of All the Work

Here it is....

After all the time and money spent on the Stang, I have still never taken it a long drive. Next week I am going to put the top down and drive from Detroit to Washington D.C. which is about 540 miles. I have taken it to Indianapolis before and it ran great but this is a much longer trip. I have faith that everything will run fine, but you never know with a car this old. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for what to carry in the "Emergency Breakdown" kit. Besides the normal tools and fluids I am not sure what else to bring, or is bringing any of it insulting to the stang and it will break down just to spite me? What are your thoughts?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: The Ultimate Test of All the Work

Probably the most important thing to bring is a cell phone with a fully charged battery

That said, if you're confident in the vehicle, just pack the normal tool set and some fluids and off ya go. Half the battle is confidence. Once you lose that, you're looking for stuff to happen and in most cases you'll find it.

Just enjoy the ride and have that phone handy.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Good luck, you should be fine. If you're still in OH and it breaks down give me a call and I'll help you out
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

I just drove my stang from Dallas Texas to Waterloo (and Independance) Iowa. The guys on the forum suggested to bring 2 of everything (belts hoses etc) I did, however I was fortunate enough not to need any of it! Man those wide open Iowan roads...nothing for miles and miles and miles ... no cops.....[sm=Awwww.gif]
Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Cruise up and down Woodward a few times and you should be good to go!
Cripes, if it can handle the streets you have here in the Motor City, it can handle anything. I thought I was going to get swallowed up in some of these potholes!

I'm a fan of Cell phone, AAA, and credit card. The important thing is not to be in a hurry. If you can plan an extra day or two for travel. if anything happens, you hang out in Smallsville and meet the natives. Or you rent a car, and have your's transported home.

For roadside repairs, rubber gloves, a one piece rain suit (to wear as coveralls rain or shine) in a plastic bag, and a ball cap with the bill cut off to keep your hair out of the dirt/mud while under the car. Standard tools along with some stainless safety wire, and wire pliers, Duct tape, electrical tape, a 20' roll of 12 gauge wire and a flash light.
And finally, a really hot looking girlfriend or wife (I can never get anyone to stop for me []).

I learned something else while here in the wonderful state of Michigan. I learned that the brown stain around the pothole is the rust that gets hammered loose.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I have a "kit" that consists of a good flashlight and extra batteries, a tool chest with all the tools needed to work on anything on the Stang, Two red triangles, a set of extra rad hoses, two new belts, a water pump, a fuel pump, an extra fuel filter, an old blanket, a quart of oil, a gallon of ready mixed coolant, and two jacks. Be sure to have your cell phone with a charged battery. I have taken my 65 at least that far many times, and I have yet to use any of this stuff though. You will be just fine. Stay with the speed limit and don't push the old girl beyond her capabilities.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 PM
jdforsythe
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, pretty much what I have already put together. Scott...you are not kidding, Michigan roads are some of the worst in the country. I hope you are having a good time, this weekend will be the most active. Thanks for bringing all the bad weather, it was great until you got here lol!!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
jroseman
2nd Gear Member

i have taken mine on several long (for me) trips - from 500 to 1000 miles. i always check everything real good and take some general tools like a socket set, and screw drivers. i have never been afraid to go.....

last trip, from souther, western north carolina to the lake erie resort - i lost a battery on the trip up. on the return trip i lost a heater core (with less than 10000 miles on it) pulling put of the parking lot of the lake erie resort - did a simple hose by pass - and a rear wheel bearing in centerville ohio. it rattled my wife some but i would do it again tomorrow. besides, i had never seen the great lakes.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

hey
Good luck. One thing that i always carry for emergency situations is Zip Ties. They can come in handy when you need to hold something down that comes lose. Bring a couple, you never know when you might need some. Maybe even see if you can get some heater hose in a few diffent sizes just in case one breaks like jroseman mentioned. The little elbow one likes to break and thats not one you can make on the side of the road. It will just pinch regular heater hose at that 90 degree angle, so see if you can pick up an extra one of those.