Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Paint shop quotes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

Default Paint shop quotes

Hi everyone

I got a quote from a paint shop today....$9000.00......I have the whole car taken apart to a shell and this guys wants 9 G's to do the body work & paint! He wants to put new floors in I don't see any reason to they have already been done and they are totally solid. They aren't beautiful but its the floors ....who cares?? I figured with me doing all the assembly/disassembly he would come in around 5-6K MAX he is the most expensive guy here in town but I don't think he realizes I actually want to DRIVE this car ....I don't want to trailer it around like some of his rich customers! Needless to say I have two more apointments this weekend.

Here is a link to the 9K guys site he is literally right around the corner.

www.qrscanada.com

Darcy

Old 08-18-2006, 11:35 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint shop quotes

keep shopping! but remember the old saying you get what you pay for! so if its cheap its usually gonna be a shotty job
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

I couldn't agree more. I do expect to pay I want a NICE paint job not a PERFECT paint job. I don't want to have to worry about the damn car every minute of everyday because I have 9,000 in the car on just paint on it haha.....oh I forgot to mention he wants me to buy the parts on top of that cost .....he says it's 150 hours labour......I have my doubts but maybe the next two guys will say the same thing & there will be a mustang for sale in my town!

Plus there is a few OTHER things I need for the car....so a 9K paint job is kinda high....lol
Old 08-19-2006, 11:22 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Is that 9k Canadian or US dollars?
Either way it is too much.
Shop around.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:23 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

That's Canadian dollars, sorry I guess I should have mentioned that but like you said it's to much either way. I figure for 9K I could do it myself and screw it up 4 times and still have money left over!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

That's not really that bad of a price for full disassembly, repair, and a good paint job. If he does good work, go for it. You won't regret it in 5 years...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

Thats the thing, the car is already disassembled. I am doing all that myself plus he wants me to buy all the parts on top of that price...IMO its a few thousand on the high side & he wants to do the floors. There is not a single spot of soft floor on the whole car the guy who owned it before me already did them. This guy just doesn't think they are pretty enough & I think they are just fine. I don't need a concours job here just a decent body and paint job. I have a bad spot along the drip rail that I posted on here before but everyone who has looked at it says it's fairly easy to repair it it can't add thousands to the job.

The guy told me it would take him 150 hours. Considering I am taking the car apart and putting most of it back together aside from doors, fenders and other things that are on to paint the car I can't see it taking him an entire month of labour but hey what do I know I'm a salesman!

Darcy
Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You'd be paying $60 per hour, which includes shop supplies, rent, paint, primer, etc. Sounds like he's going to be a perfectionist. You can tell him not to do the floors, but he probably isn't charging a lot for that particular job.

ORIGINAL: 6788notch

Thats the thing, the car is already disassembled. I am doing all that myself plus he wants me to buy all the parts on top of that price...IMO its a few thousand on the high side & he wants to do the floors. There is not a single spot of soft floor on the whole car the guy who owned it before me already did them. This guy just doesn't think they are pretty enough & I think they are just fine. I don't need a concours job here just a decent body and paint job. I have a bad spot along the drip rail that I posted on here before but everyone who has looked at it says it's fairly easy to repair it it can't add thousands to the job.

The guy told me it would take him 150 hours. Considering I am taking the car apart and putting most of it back together aside from doors, fenders and other things that are on to paint the car I can't see it taking him an entire month of labour but hey what do I know I'm a salesman!

Darcy
Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
6788notch
1st Gear Member

What you are saying is my point exactly, he will be charging $60?.....all that tells me is that he is saying to me it is going to take way longer then it actually will. I can't see a shop of this level only costing $60 an hour & your right he is a perfectionist I don't need perfection I just need good quality work.

Edit

By the way the other guy her in town made an appointment with me for 1PM today after I had to call him back because he told me he would call me back when he had time by didin't even show up or call today! This is the guy who says to me the first time I talk to him without even talking any money yet "before you waste anymore of my time let me tell you I start at 4000.00"

I don't know if this is normal for "body guys" but I do know that its not what I want in the shop I'm looking for.

I have $5K cash already for someone to do this work & I am prepared to spend a little more if someone actually is polite and reasonable. I can't believe they are such bad business people.

Darcy
Old 08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I had a complete restoration paint job about 10 years ago that cost me 5 grand. That was with a new headliner, all new glass, rubber, felt, bumpers, and a few patches welded in. Now, that was 10 years ago, so maybe 9K is not that much out of line.

Quick Reply: Paint shop quotes