Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

classic car speed? whats your

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: classic car speed? whats your

ORIGINAL: Sean W.

whats the fastest you have gotten your classic mustang to go?

Also, I won a 1968 mustang at an auction, and the previous owner street raced it ( which ultimatly lost him the car )what do you think the max speed for my car is? 289 motor, not sure the mods on it, and it runs great. just give a guestament, thanks!
Congratulations on winning the auction. '68-'69 is an awesome car. I'd be willing to bet with an automatic that is will do 115-120 (real not indicated). You definitely want to follow these other good peoples recommendations and have it thoroughly inspected and fixed before trying it though.
When I got my '66 it took good concentration and a solid focus as far ahead as I could, to keep it between the lines at 70mph. Now with all the work I've done, it's an absolute joy at 70mph. On a closed course I had it up a little over 95 and it still felt rock solid.
I pretty much stick to the posted street limits or a little under though, 'cause you just never know what's going to jump out and either kill you, get killed, or both. []

Have fun! I look forward to seeing your new beast, so make sure to post some pictures when you get it.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

ORIGINAL: Sean W.

whats the fastest you have gotten your classic mustang to go?

Also, I won a 1968 mustang at an auction, and the previous owner street raced it ( which ultimatly lost him the car )what do you think the max speed for my car is? 289 motor, not sure the mods on it, and it runs great. just give a guestament, thanks!
Congratulations on winning the auction. '68-'69 is an awesome car. I'd be willing to bet with an automatic that is will do 115-120 (real not indicated). You definitely want to follow these other good peoples recommendations and have it thoroughly inspected and fixed before trying it though.
When I got my '66 it took good concentration and a solid focus as far ahead as I could, to keep it between the lines at 70mph. Now with all the work I've done, it's an absolute joy at 70mph. On a closed course I had it up a little over 95 and it still felt rock solid.
I pretty much stick to the posted street limits or a little under though, 'cause you just never know what's going to jump out and either kill you, get killed, or both. []

Have fun! I look forward to seeing your new beast, so make sure to post some pictures when you get it.
There is not a more lonely feeling than being on a west Texas road where there is 75 miles between small towns, and it it 3 AM. Deer are all around, and I see their red eyes, so I installl the whistle on the bumper to ward them off. They are still stupid though, so speed is important to watch. Bottom line.......be aware of your driving conditions.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

You must have some slow roads up there...you'd likely find your rear bumper being pushed into your back seat around here. [&:] I generally avoid these roads, just because 4k rpm to keep up with the slow lane is kinda monotaneous.
65 MPH speed limit but mostly 2-lane highways! I usually cruise the back roads where you can drive for 20-30 miles on farm roads without seeing another car, just cows (oh the smell is amazing on a humid day!), sheep, horses and an occasional deer.

I'm not a speed chick!

Old 08-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

It was a run set up by the Nebraska state patrol to let people open up their cars without fear of retribution. The highways change year to year based on condition and they'll only run if there's no wind/rain/etc. You do need to pass an inspection, sign a waiver, etc. It's done in an effort to keep street racing under control.

Texas may have something similar. It isn't overally advertised, and I haven't been around it for quite a few years.
Nevada has the "Silver State Rally", while not quite the same thing as you're talking about, it's a chance to open 'er up. You compete in speed limit classes, and the key is to come in at just the right hour, minute and second for your speed classification.
When the V8 and roll bar go in, I plan on entering the '66. Probably in the 100-110 mph area. That should give me an oportunity to really open things up.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:52 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Had the Cougar up around 120 back when I was stupid and 16. No need to go that fast on a public highway anymore, I would rather do it in the 1/4

Nebraska has a top speed event in the panhandle. Its called the Sandhills Open Road Race. A buddy of mine who lives in south central Nebraska and I have been toyin with the idea of building a car for it. About the time we do, they will stop running it. There are Plenty of arrow straight two lanes that go for a hundred miles with few hills to run all out on in Nebraska, but you still gotta watch for deer, that is whitetail, mule, and John types.. Smackin the back of an AGCO combine when you are doin 140 wouldnt feel so good...

Fastest I have gone out there was somewhere on the high side of 140 but it was in a 79 Trans AM, and the fastest I have legally gone was 145 on Autobahn 5 headed south out of Frankfurt Germany.. Bahn 3 was way too busy with cars goin over 170 to be out there in the left lane that long..

Maybe the nightmare has a future inh top speed racing.. a fastback is sorta aero if you plug off the grille... lol
Old 08-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

You must have some slow roads up there...you'd likely find your rear bumper being pushed into your back seat around here. [&:] I generally avoid these roads, just because 4k rpm to keep up with the slow lane is kinda monotaneous.
65 MPH speed limit but mostly 2-lane highways! I usually cruise the back roads where you can drive for 20-30 miles on farm roads without seeing another car, just cows (oh the smell is amazing on a humid day!), sheep, horses and an occasional deer.

I'm not a speed chick!

That's what me and the dog do on weekend mornings. We drop the top, cruise through Starbucks, and then putter along the back roads and bark at cows and stuff, while listening to car talk radio. Talk about a stress reliever! We have a great time. Although I think he get's embaressed when I bark at the cows.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Link to the Sandhills race

http://www.sorcrace.net/
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

125 on an open road in broad daylight. I ran out of road and nerve...the car was floating b/c of old suspension. Since I have replaced the suspension, I haven't wanted to go that fast anymore.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I get mine up to 100 about once a week. The front end gets, light, and steering get's to ZERO. Not fun..... well it is actually, but dangerous.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:04 AM
rigwelder
2nd Gear Member

Once apon a time many years ago i was screaming down i-35 south of dallas at about 210 mph in my pinto (really more like floating) when i seen a pink elephant about to pass me! so i hit the nitrous and let the wings down and flew away! earlier that day i seen a 10 ft. armadillo and a two headed possum!

Quick Reply: classic car speed? whats your