Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scam Alert Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
1986rhodie

Default Scam Alert Please Read

http://www.internetscamalert.com/

Please read the above web site
I have parts for sale in the classified section of mustang forums. About a month ago a man from London wanted to buy the parts. He had someone here in the states that owed him money and this person would send me a money order. This past Saturday, after a month of waiting the person from London told me the check was on it's way from Canada, where the guy that owed him money has been on vacation. He also informed me he needed the remaining funds sent to his shipper on Wednesday the 23rd. So I finally received the money order on Monday 8-21-6 for the amount of $4500.00.
I am selling him the parts for $800.00. I am to wire $3200.00 Western Union to his shipper immediately.
The bank the money order was issued from is a real bank. The money order IS A FAKE.
I confirmed it with the Bank. Luckily I have not sent any money to anybody.

Please be aware of this if you are selling parts. This is the only web site I have those parts for sale on. Which means they are looking for other people to scam on the web site.
I hope the moderators will post this as many places they can and inform as many Mustangforums people they can about this.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Scam Alert Please Read

That scam is an old one. But some people are probably still not aware of it. The bottom line is THE CHECK MUST CLEAR (or money order in your case).
Old 08-23-2006, 04:42 PM
1986rhodie

Exactly...and don't think after a few days everthing is good. They told me as long at three weeks to be sure everthing has cleared.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The first tipoff of a scam is asking yourself this question: "Why does this person need ME to send THEIR person money?" There is never a good reason for that.

STill, good post though. It's surprising to me at how many people get duped by these types of scams.

BTW I have a brother in Nigeria, Governer Bakoo Nanki, that recently died. I'm trying to get my trust from him here to the U.S. but I need someone that is not related to me to get the money. See the government has a bunch of taxes that they wish to charge me unless I have a sponser here in the U.S. to prove I'm not a Nigerian citizen. If I can transfer the money to your account and then have you transfer it to me, I'll let you keep 10% of the $20,000,000 I'm getting.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:53 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

The first tipoff of a scam is asking yourself this question: "Why does this person need ME to send THEIR person money?" There is never a good reason for that.

STill, good post though. It's surprising to me at how many people get duped by these types of scams.

BTW I have a brother in Nigeria, Governer Bakoo Nanki, that recently died. I'm trying to get my trust from him here to the U.S. but I need someone that is not related to me to get the money. See the government has a bunch of taxes that they wish to charge me unless I have a sponser here in the U.S. to prove I'm not a Nigerian citizen. If I can transfer the money to your account and then have you transfer it to me, I'll let you keep 10% of the $20,000,000 I'm getting.
Do you need my SSN too??
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

lol yeah and your bank account info and your current and previous address. That way the government of Nigeria can verify that you are not helping me scam their government for the taxes they are due.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

I got an email from a Nigerian "lawyer" telling me that one of my relatives fell off an oil rig and died leaving me a big inheritance which he could get for me for a fee. Where do these scammers come up with this stuff? Do they really think all Americans have at least one relative working a Nigerian oil rig?.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

well apparently there are enough Naive people in the world that buy into this stuff, otherwise they wouldn't exist. Just like e-mail phishing scams. I love the ones from Paypal and Ebay and a ton of the banks..I don't even have accounts with these peeps.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cannonball888

I got an email from a Nigerian "lawyer" telling me that one of my relatives fell off an oil rig and died leaving me a big inheritance which he could get for me for a fee. Where do these scammers come up with this stuff? Do they really think all Americans have at least one relative working a Nigerian oil rig?.
I think people try and get passed their doubt because of such a desire for easy money.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Cannonball888

we don't? Oh...my bad

Quick Reply: Scam Alert Please Read