Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

17yr. old who wants to buy a pony

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:07 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 17yr. old who wants to buy a pony

Every mustang I have seen had rust. How long are you going to keep it? Do you want a show car? I got my mustang when I was 15. I am 31 now. I love my car but it has been a money pit. To many up-grades. You are going to work on it alot and it will brake down on you. A 68 is not a real fast car, but it looks cool. They don't hook up good. They don't handle good, but we still love them. They are not a good hotrod. They don't have a frame. Well not like a 55 chevy.The 68 mustang is a better car then the 66. The front-ends are better. They are wider and if it was a V8, it was a 302, if stock. A 66 of that age might leak. The doors sag with age. If you want a cool beater, why not if it runs good. The brakes are drum and sux. No a/c , well not in mine. I do like to drive in my stang with all the windows down. They are not safe. The 68s have got to be safer then mine. Get a Toyota.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Sprint 200

ORIGINAL: horseshoeing

Every mustang I have seen had rust. A 68 is not a real fast car, but it looks cool. . They don't handle good, but we still love them. .The 68 mustang is a better car then the 66. The front-ends are better. They are wider and if it was a V8, it was a 302, if stock. A 66 of that age might leak. The doors sag with age.
[sm=smiley29.gif]

Horseshoeing not to be mean [:@], but the way you wrote that made it a little hard to understand, if you were talking about the 68 he is looking at or yours, or what? And what do you mean they don't handle good? They handle good for a classic car with 200 horsepower. A 66 of that age might leak? A 73 Might leak a 95 might leak, anything can leak. A 68 is a fast car, yes the 302 couldn't keep up with the 396 camaros, but thats why we got the 428s. What was it "not fast" compared too? And one more question, This sentence doesn't make sence to me "They are wider and if it was a V8, it was a 302, if stock" ???? please don't take it personally, and welcome to MF.

Chris
Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome! A stock 1964-1967 is not a fast car and does not handle well. Sorry. They flex to much. I seen a guy cut out the shocktowers and put in a wish-bone front-end. Thats not stock. A 289 or a 302 is not fast if is stock. Well a 302 Boss is. But still , they car can't lock up. All they want to do is spin. Now you can make them lock up, but thars not stock. Yes , most 66 mustangs leak. Most 95 mustangs do not leak. Did Ford fix the 67s and 68s? We are not the KRs and CJs.I sorry for not being clearer. The camaros could not lock up. All the want to do is spin. Yes the 396 is a fast motor stock, but the car has to lock up for the motor to work.The Ford GT was fast and handled good. Not the mustang.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Darrin O

My concerns would be with safety. I believe the 68 had some safety upgrades which i may or may not be correct about. I believe they went with a collapseable steering shaft.
I'm not sure but i thing three point seatbelts were available then, if not get some. Brakes would be an issue if you were my 17 year old. Steering/handling concerns would also be high on the list of checking out.

As far as costs go these cars CAN get expensive. Now, i bought my 66 in 97 and drove it as a daily driver for four years. Didnt have to put much into it at all. Now that i am resto/modding it, i'm putting quite a bit more into it. I did do the front disc brake conversion within the last few years though.

Areas to look for rust: Get on your back and look at the under side of the door. any obvious rust? Any bubbling paint, especially on the rear aspect of the fenders, where the cowl drains? get a screwdriver and get under the car to look at the floor pans. thump the front edge where the floor pan slopes up to become the fire wall, any obvious rust???
any suspect areas? If so, thump it with the screw driver. If it sounds thin or weak, poke it with the screwdriver.. in cases of severe rust, it will go right through. Open up the trunk and reach down into the wells behind the rear tire. Often debris catches in there and plugs up the drain hole leading to rust in the rear quarter. thats a good start for you. I'm glad youre researching this purchase and i hope that you are able to weed through the recommendations and decide what is right for you.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
mustangman

from the sounds of it, your looking at 2-3 years in just the body restoration, 2000 is great for and old fastback, there a lot more popular now, also, weekend jobs wont cut it, if your restoreing a car you need a garage with space, fairly constant temp. and to compleaty tear into it, dont try to half a$$ it b/c you'll regret it and look dumb. Its expensive and long, but you'll be proud when done.