Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

17yr. old who wants to buy a pony

Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 PM
epitaph e13

Default 17yr. old who wants to buy a pony

Hey everyone, as you've might of guessed, I'm a 17 year old who is looking at purchasing a 68 mustang with a 302 in it. Now, I'm not a die hard ford person, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about a 68 mustang. I've been looking for a car for over a year. Any muscle car that will fit my price range of under $2000. So I found this car right in the middle of my town. The engine runs great, but the body's got a lot of bondo on it. So I guess what I'm really trying to say is 1. Does anyone have any information on a 68 Mustang? 2. This car seem like a good deal at $2000? I'd appreciate any feedback.

-Epitaph E13
Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Sprint 200

Default RE: 17yr. old who wants to buy a pony

Bondo [:'(] What do you want to know on the 68? Specs or fun facts? Spec should be all over the internet, just do your research before you buy. Don't always buy the first one you see either, I did that with my first mustang/car, and ended up selling it a few months later. $2000 isn't much for a (great) muscle car. Just because you want a 302 doesn't mean you need a 302. How is the paint on the car? The interior? Transmission? Any rust? Look everywhere, rust is sneaky these days. Restoring a classic car isn't cheap so remember that, if you don't have a stable budget and aren't willing to put money in your car, then don't buy a classic car. I can tell you anything anything you need to know about the 68 I owned one for a very short time, but I know a little. PM if you need anything else.
-Theres my 2 cents on the subject-

Chris
Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

I'd hate to say it but.....you are better of saving up more cash and buying a mustang that is in good shape. Rust and bondo are no-no's, and as sprint said you can't buy the 1st one you see, I almost made that mistake and I would have been regretting it. I dunno man, I'd stay away, 2k is too cheap, you'd invest way more than that to fix up the ride.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:43 PM
epitaph e13

Well, I guess I want some specs. I want to know if a 68 Mustang was prone to having certain problems I should look into. Now like I said, I've been lookin for a car for a long time. I can't find a muscle car under 2500 in my area, and I just happened to stumble across this one. As far as the 302, it's not like I was looking for one in it. The paint on the car is ok. Not a whole lot of rust that I could see. The paint job is probably a $500 Maco paint job. Not the greatest, but that's not a problem as it doesn't effect the way the car rides. Interior is alright, only 2 rips in the seats that I saw. I mean, it smells like an old car, so it'd probably need some carpet replaced. The transmission and engine supposedly run strong, but I will find out tonight when I test drive it. At this point, I'm not wanting to get a full restoration on the car. It can pass inspection and that's the big thing. Although, eventually I would fix it up. I would probably only start with small weekend jobs on it. Now I understand 2k is too cheap and if I'm looking for a classic muscle car I should look at putting more money into it, but that's already a large lump of change for a high schooler. Hope I answered your question's to help you help me. Thanks a lot.

-Epitaph E13
Old 06-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Sprint 200

Ok, a few changes were made from 67 as most know, most of them were safety. I don't know much about the 302 specs I think the horsepower for the 2bbl is 210ish and the 4bbl is 225/235 somewhere in there. Transmission? I have never been a transmission person, so? 68 the car kind of got a few more curves. It grew I think 2 more inches, I think it was for a bigger engine compartment. Just like any other mustang, if not taken care of it will rust. Rust is not you friend nor will it ever be. Rust likes to hide in the wheelwell, the floorboards, check the trunk, lift up the trunk covering if any, look in the door jams, lay down on the ground and take a look under the car. Rust spreads fast, and is hard to get rid of. Here's a little tip, go to every corner of the car, and Push-down and let off, if the car bounce more than once you need new shocks, and or springs. Make sure the windsheild wipers work, it shifts smoothly through all the gears, take it on the highway, and through town. Some cars thrive on the highway, but spit and sputter through town. I wouldn't really recommend the car your looking at. A resto car is bought to be restored, it is very hard to restore a car when you are driving it, I don't know anyone who has(more power to anyone who has). But you will have jobs that take six hours and when you have that date and your car isn't in running condition, you ain't going anywhere. Is the color the orginal color? Look in the door and write down the code, you can figure it out online, or I can tell you. I mean if I was in your position, I would probably buy a more reliable car, or if you have a job with a steady(as steady as it can be for a student)income where you can make payments, go put your money down on a car. Get a new GT (not the V-6 its unsafe). I mean its really hard where you are at, you want a classic Muscle car, but you don't want to spend more then 2500 bucks, that makes it hard. I don't know if you been here, but go to www.collectcartraderonline.com and do a little search. I wish you the best of luck, but know that restoring a classic car isn't cheap I mean it was 90 bucks for a damn glovebox, so you make the decesion. Anymore questions just ask.

Chris
Old 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
epitaph e13

Thanks for all the info. Just one more thing, you know the gas milage for a 68 mustang with a 302? O and I have checked out the website. Good site, just can't find anything if you can believe that.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Sprint 200

Gas mileage, is there such things as gas mile with a 302? I had a 289 in my 68 with a 4bbl, I don't know whats on the 302, but I think I got somewhere between 8-12 mpg. I think that was like three years ago. I can't image it benig much better than that, scratchy has a 302 he might now better than I do. Lets just say it won't be a great daily driver on gas like the inline six is(see the six is good for something). Good luck with the search and the car.

Chris
Old 06-24-2004, 01:32 AM
cobra427302
I ♥ Acer

I was 16 wheni bought my 67 coupe (67 and 68 are almost identical), and it hasn't cost me too much, granted im not done yet. It started as an inline six and now its grown to a 351 cleveland, nice fitting too if you decide to change. have all new front suspension, rear axle and am getting a tranny in a week or so. So what i am trying to say is if you need any help ive been through just about anything you would need for that car. I understand what you a striving for with the car just kind of a cruiser. I have to say that all that i have done has only cost me around 4,000 to 5,000, and that includes the actual car. and trust me on this as you get more into the restoring aspect of it you will be surprised as to what has broken and they trew back togather. but good luck with it.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:19 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

302 gas milage = not good. But if you find a nice car it won't matter, cuz you will love it.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
quig
1st Gear Member

I would pass this one up unless you are a body man or related to one. The ONLY way to remove rust is to cut out and replace the panel, very expensive unless you can do it yourself. a 302 with a C4 will get 17-20 mpg if driven sanely. 67-68s are my favorite years and are pretty plentiful but prices have gone up in the past few years thanks Elanor. I got my 67fb in 79 for 300 bucks, I feel sorry for young guys nowadays since these cars are now classics instead of beaters. My advice is to save more money and get a car with a good body, engine is not a big concern since 302s are a dime a dozen I have 2 laying around and are much cheaper than body work. My father was a body man for a cadillac dealer and I learned from him even though he didnt want me to. He said its s*&* work, but when he died I got all his tools and do see his point, I wouldnt like to do it every day. Another thing to consider is material costs are outrageous these days paint especially. Not to discourage you but choose a car carefully it could be a money pit.
Quig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17yr. old who wants to buy a pony