Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rephrase - Mustang II suspension and steering into a 65? I got this off the net...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 AM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

Default rephrase - Mustang II suspension and steering into a 65? I got this off the net...

From a New Zealand site on conversions...would this be even worth considering? To get rid of that old car feel without having to spend the big bucks? Or is it suicide? or destroys the car?

"2. Front Suspension

2.1 A complete Mustang II Front suspension (and steering)

This is a major exercise involving removing all the existing front suspension, steering, and much of the shock towers. The Mustang II front sub-frame assembly complete with suspension, brakes and rack and pinion steering is then positioned in the correct location. Uprights are welded on to pick up the existing chassis rails and thus attach it to the car. The two big advantages are the conversion to R&P steering, and the big gain in engine bay space, (by removal of the shock towers) giving more room for headers and making spark plug changes so much easier. Check this link. Easiest way to complete the conversion is to buy one of the aftermarket kits now available such as: Rod & Custom Motorsport. http://www.rcmotorsports.net/page6.html This is a total Mustang II Front End Kit, with manual or power rack, tubular upper & lower A-arms, Fully adjustable coilovers and has the small or big block mounts.
"I did the research & Rod & Customs Motorsports makes the best Mustang II kit out there for early Mustangs. The beauty of this kit is that Rod & Customs Motorsports has been around for a long time and will sell you everything individually if should you ever need replacement parts down the road. They have awesome tech support and you'll be talking to the owner of the company when you call. Also, any headers that will work for a 79-93 Fox Mustang will work with this kit. Same goes for the oil pan. ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOM HEADERS, OILPAN, OR STEERING COLUMN NEEDED WITH THIS KIT---UNLIKE OTHER MUSTANG II FRONT END CONVERSION KITS. This kit even includes the steel patch panels to cover the holes where the shock towers are removed."
Old 08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
1986rhodie

Default RE: rephrase - Mustang II suspension and steering into a 65? I got this off the net...

I replaced my front suspension with the unit you are looking at. I think it works great and handles much better. I have a manual rack but it's still smoother than the original steering box, and there is plenty of room in that engine compartment for anything you could think of.