Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Edelbrock: New carb questi

Old 05-17-2003, 05:05 AM
JRWYW

Default Edelbrock: New carb questi

Hello, I just bought a Edelbrock 289 intake and 600cfm carb for my 69 Mustang hardtop.

It has a 302 and currently has the stock 2 barrel carb.

My question concerns installation of the new carbs electric choke. I know it needs a 12V power source to operate, but I only want the choke to operate when the engine is running. I thought maybe I could hook it up to my alternator, but I thought I'd ask you guys first.

I guess these electric chokes work pretty good, since everybody's using them now. This will be my first time using one.

Frankly I can't see how they would work because they don't respond to engine temperature (like hot air choke).

I'm glad they don't use the same thing for thermostats.

Well, enough babbling. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:45 PM
fatback

Originally Posted by JRWYW
Hello, I just bought a Edelbrock 289 intake and 600cfm carb for my 69 Mustang hardtop.
It has a 302 and currently has the stock 2 barrel carb.

My question concerns installation of the new carbs electric choke. I know it needs a 12V power source to operate, but I only want the choke to operate when the engine is running. I thought maybe I could hook it up to my alternator, but I thought I'd ask you guys first.

I guess these electric chokes work pretty good, since everybody's using them now. This will be my first time using one.

Frankly I can't see how they would work because they don't respond to engine temperature (like hot air choke).
I'm glad they don't use the same thing for thermostats.
Well, enough babbling. Thanks for your help guys.
I wish I could think of a wire that would give you 12V when engine is running......but I'm at a loss right now. I may be wrong here...but there is a post on the ALT. that is for the factory choke, but not 12V. Its less.....If you hook a test light to it , it's very dim. Get a wiring diagram, and find a wire that is hot with the key in the "on" position. That seems like the best way to go....Good Luck
Old 06-15-2003, 04:26 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Good Timing! I just happen to beputting an electric choke on my carbthis weekend. If all goes well I'll have it all on and working tommorow. I had the same question you did.Mine is a 65 w/ a 600cfmholley carb, should be about the same. You dont hook it up to the alternator, thats alternating current and that wont work. Theres 2 options, the ignition switch or the fuse box. I found that hooking it up to the inition switch works good. Mine was a pain to reach up under the dash though. If you do hook it up to the ignition switch you need to hook up a fuse to theunit. </P>

Im not exactly sure how the electric choke works. I know that there is a spring coil that heats up from the elecrticity and it expands moving a valve. And when the engine comes up to temperature, a vacuum valve in the electric choke releases, bringing the mixture to where it should be. Something like that. Im dont fully understand it.</P>

If I discover any other important things, i'll post it</P>
Old 06-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

About hooking it up to the ignition switch, like fatback said, you want it hooked up to a wire when the key is on the on position. If you feel up under the dash behind the ignition switch there is a threaded bolt. Thats where to hook it up. It's about 1/4 inch. I got the wire in place with a nut, and that wasa pain. You may find a easier to secure the wire.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:43 PM
67fastback4444

whoa the gt is a s code enigine, not bad 320 hp