Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:18 AM
xxsurfxx

Default 1968 Mustang

I just got a 1968 mustang coupe and have a few questions and concerns, for one the brake light is on, i thought it meant the emergency brake was on but i dont even know where it is? the seats will not adjust they are very wiggly and im short, the passenger seats just falls straight back! ...and there are no seatbelts, i got a universal lap belt, but dont see anywhere to put it, there is new carpet in the car and i cannot see the floorboard. Does anyone have an idea about how much it will cost to fix this stuff?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1968 Mustang

what kind of engine?

the seatbelts bolt into the floor, the new carpet is probably covering the hole
Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Emergency brake handle should be to the left side of the steering column just below the dash (where the AC controls are). There should also be a **** for the vents to the right of the emergency brake handle. The seat problem I can't answer for sure without seeing exactly what's happening (I'm not that good). The seat belt question has already been answered. Cost is dependent on the area you live in and the problems with the car. Given that the seat problems and installation of the seat belts are items that I would take care of myself, I couldn't even give a good ballpark estimate. Sorry.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Welcome!!! Your first purchase should be a Ford Shop Manual for the 68. These are available from all the mustang parts vendors for about $45. They are somewhat hard to read so you may also want to get one of the restoration guides.

It is common for the brake light to stay on, but not correct. On the driver's side fender, near the master brake cylinder there is a distribution block for sending the brake fluid to the wheels. There is a sensor in the distribution block which truns on the light when there is a differential pressure going to the brakes. It is common for this sensor to get stuck in the on position. You can check if this is the problem by disconnecting the electrical connector on the top of the distribution block. If this causes the light to go out, you need to find out why the sensor got triggered (pull the brake drums and look for a leak at the wheel cylinders). Once you find and correct the problem, you will need to recenter the sensor by bleeding the brakes.
HTH
PS many just disconnect the sensor to "solve" the problem. Not a good choice if you're interested in stopping.