Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can a valve job cure smoke from the breather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM
canadiantofu

Default Can a valve job cure smoke from the breather?

From some good info off this site, I was able to determine that I had a stuck valve and needs to have my heads serviced.

Would this be a highly probably reason why I’ve been getting smoke out from the breather cap?

The car came with an open breather cap, with no hose connecting the vent hole to the air filter holder.
Also, the PVC hose isn't connected to anything.. it just sits there behind the carb... is this the proper set up?

I’ve changed the PVC and breather cap.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can a valve job cure smoke from the breather?

Nope, not as far as I know. I think that is caused by worn rings..
Old 08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Don't know about the smoke cause, however, the PCV hose should connect to the pcv valve (obviously) and to an outlet at the back of the carb spacer. There should be a nipple right in the center of the spacer. As for the open breather, I believe, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, that for small blocks, 68 was the first year with the tube to the airfilter.

Just a guess here, but since a pcv valve (positive crank ventilation) pulls air from the engine and back through the carb, maybe the fact that it is unhooked has something to do with the smoke out the breather. Is there any opther issues that lead you to believe that it is the valve seals or something more serious. Sometimes problems are simple things overlooked. I would at least get the pcv hooked up properly first.
Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Just a suggestion, before you go crazy with the PCV, get that head off an see whats going on with the valve. The PCV is easy stuff. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Hook the PCV valve hose back up to the carb spacer and see if you are still getting the smoke. However, I am afraid you need an engine overhaul. How many miles on that engine? Smoking can be caused by worn valve guides or oil rings, but if that engine has a lot of miles on it, you may as well bo ahead and overhaul the whole thing.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

You need to find out what the problem is with the stuck valve. You may find that the valve damaged the piston and /or cylinder walls also. Hooking up the PCV will probably ease the crankcase smoking situation some but it's definately not going to fix that valve. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to pull the head. Ultimately, a total rebuild or crate motor may be the best solution, but then again, it may not be needed. Take it a step at a time.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Ok, the smoke youre seeing is called blow by , its unburned gases and exhaust from the cylinders. Blow by, is whats blown by the piston rings. Some blow by is normal, thats why you even have a PCV valve. THe pcv system is designed to capture the unburned gases from the blow by the piston rings and send the gases back through the combustion cycle to help fully combust it. Its mainly an emissions thing. If youre getting A LOT of blow by then your engine is in need of an overhaul. Ideally, youd take the engine apart and measure all of the tolerances. That will determine if you need to bore the cylinders and machine the crank. If its within spec, you can get away with honing the cylinders, and just slapping new rings and bearings in there.
-P.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Ok, the smoke youre seeing is called blow by , its unburned gases and exhaust from the cylinders. Blow by, is whats blown by the piston rings. Some blow by is normal, thats why you even have a PCV valve. THe pcv system is designed to capture the unburned gases from the blow by the piston rings and send the gases back through the combustion cycle to help fully combust it. Its mainly an emissions thing. If youre getting A LOT of blow by then your engine is in need of an overhaul. Ideally, youd take the engine apart and measure all of the tolerances. That will determine if you need to bore the cylinders and machine the crank. If its within spec, you can get away with honing the cylinders, and just slapping new rings and bearings in there.
-P.
Is there an echo in here?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:49 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Hello.........hello ...........hello

I justed wanted them to know the proper terminology, so when they go talk to a tech, the tech wont think of them as complete dumbasses .
-P.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

BTW, I know what it is and what it's called. If he came in my shop and called it smoke, I wouldn't think he was a dumbass. And if any of my techs called him that, they would be doing oil changes for a while.

Quick Reply: Can a valve job cure smoke from the breather?