Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New project - thoughts on condition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
frisco67mustang

Default New project - thoughts on condition?

Here is my new obsession, I picked it up from my aunt who had it sitting in her field for the last 6 years (paid $750). It has a 302 that was pulled apart and had rusted pretty well all over. So far I have the engine decked and milled to .060 and the heads cleaned up. The machine shop says it needs a valve job (wondering if it's better to just get new heads).

I have started on the tear down and have the interior out and most of the seam sealer scrapped out. Only one spot that is terribly bad LR wheel well has a pretty sizable hole in it but doesn't look to be rust (maybe an old accident?)

Some questions i have for all the guys in the know.

1. thinking about getting it media blasted to save time and dust. Anyone know of a good (meaning inexpensive) shop in the Dallas area? Plastic or Sand media?

2. thoughts on rebuilding the 302, it originally came with a 289 3 speed. (haven't gotten under it to figure out the tranny and how do i tell which trans it has?) I am looking for this to become my daily driver after I am done so easy idle and decent gas milage would be nice.

attached are some pics of the car after the first day of tear down.

thanks in advance.

Ok tried to upload pics but says they are all too large. You can see them at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2440110

Old 09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
frisco67mustang

Default RE: New project - thoughts on condition?

Oh and secondary question, any ideas on how to trace down a history of a car this old?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:01 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

finally, another dallas member.

1. you dont want to sand blast, that will ruin the metal

2. if it has been sitting so long, rebuild it, it probably needs it

as for the history goes, thats a tough one, as much as you can get would probably be a marti report, maybe you can ask the DMV for info about the car.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Frisco...welcome and have fun with your new project. I live in Texas and was able to get all title history with details from the DVM. Google for the website and go to forms. Listing of title history and car info. Fill out info and mail it in. Took about 5-6wks for the info to arrive.

here is a link to the forms
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/forms/vehicle_titles.htm
Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frisco67mustang

Here is my new obsession, I picked it up from my aunt who had it sitting in her field for the last 6 years (paid $750). It has a 302 that was pulled apart and had rusted pretty well all over. So far I have the engine decked and milled to .060 and the heads cleaned up. The machine shop says it needs a valve job (wondering if it's better to just get new heads).

I have started on the tear down and have the interior out and most of the seam sealer scrapped out. Only one spot that is terribly bad LR wheel well has a pretty sizable hole in it but doesn't look to be rust (maybe an old accident?)

Some questions i have for all the guys in the know.

1. thinking about getting it media blasted to save time and dust. Anyone know of a good (meaning inexpensive) shop in the Dallas area? Plastic or Sand media?

2. thoughts on rebuilding the 302, it originally came with a 289 3 speed. (haven't gotten under it to figure out the tranny and how do i tell which trans it has?) I am looking for this to become my daily driver after I am done so easy idle and decent gas milage would be nice.

attached are some pics of the car after the first day of tear down.

thanks in advance.

Ok tried to upload pics but says they are all too large. You can see them at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2440110

Welcome!

First - if you've the time and money, I'd get it media blasted. Just prep the metal asap after it's done. Blasting is one of the best ways to save time and it does a damn good job as well.

There's minimal diff between the 289 and 302. It's all about what you want honestly. If you're concerned about specifics, you may wish to get a 289 block and go that route. IF not, the 302's can be made bullet proof. Don't skimp on internal parts, get reputable parts. you'll thank yourself in the long run.

As for the car's history. Do a Carfax report and possibly get a report from the DMV. bout the only real thing that can be done there. Also take the numbers off the door and see what the old pony was given at birth. That'll also let you know what type of tranny it is as well.

Keep us updated as you go!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:14 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

looks like you got yourself a nice project. GO ahead and buy some new heads. You'll love the power. It COSTS ALOT to have heads reworked.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

wewt dallas people! I like the goal picture thing but I hate the extended thing under the bumper (forgot what its called [&:]) they are okay if they're matte black but if they arent no go.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:41 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

i dont see the thing your talking about, but it's probably a spoiler......
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

.060 is quite a bit. You'll want to check your compression ratio before you really decide which heads you want. You may have a negative deck clearance. No big deal, but it may require thicker head gaskets.

It would be cheaper to get a set of aftermarket cast iron heads then to rebuild what you have.

Is the tranny a manual or auto. For a manual, the toploaders are as the sound...there's a top cover that all the parts go into the transmission. If you have 2 shift arms, it's the toploader 3-speed. 3 shift arms is the toploader 4-speed. If the cover is on the side, you have a weaker 4-speed (T10 I think).

If it's an auto, the pan shape will tell you what it is. The C4, FMX, and C5 have removable bellhousings.

ORIGINAL: frisco67mustang
So far I have the engine decked and milled to .060 and the heads cleaned up.

The machine shop says it needs a valve job (wondering if it's better to just get new heads).

Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

One thing you should test because its an unseen problem until it rains, check the cowl and see if it leaks.. It may need to be repaired..

Quick Reply: New project - thoughts on condition?