Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Labor Day morons

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Labor Day morons

ORIGINAL: SuperHoss

Better than that, I had a man "tell" me how I had the Shelby exhaust on my car, and that the duel tips out of the rear valance was a Shelby option and not Ford option...even after I told him that I had factory GT style exhaust. I love to listen to the old stories from people that owned these cars back when they were new, but the few liars and "know-it-alls" just get under my skin.
Sort of like the guy who stopped me a few weeks ago to tell me my car was sitting up too high in the front. I told him it was fine but he insisted it was up much too high. I then told him the 200 was a lightweight engine and he blurted out, "oh, I thought it was a 289" and of course, if it were, he'd have seen that on the side of the car. He then went on to tell me that I had V8 springs and not "V6" springs. And, lastly, how his girlfriend in 1960something had a Mustang and he pulled out the engine and put in a 351. I played dumb and said, "wow, that's a lot of horsepower!" and got into my car to drive off.

He's as bad as the guy who keeps talking about his 1965 Firebird.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Yes, he also told me how he had a 68.5 428CJ Coupe...that could nearly set the national record right off the showroom floor. After 10 minutes of this I finally told him about my grandfather owning and drag racing a factory 67 427 Fairlane(which he actually did own onw, bought it brand new)...the drag racing stories quickly ended, I guess he couldn top that one. I still have pictures of that old Fairlane...ahh yes, stories of old car sure are interesting.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

It was a beautiful day for cruising, so I figured I'd take out the 'Stang and put her to good use. 3+ hours of cruising, 160+ miles, and she ran without a hitch.

First I encountered some guy in a '69 or '70 Mustang who zoomed up beside me at the light, then took off leaving lots of rubber on the road. I wasn't impressed.

Then in the middle of a country road some guy in what looked like a Hyundai was talking to a few kids on bikes, but in the middle of the road. When I pulled up behind him he took off, screeching tires, fishtailing as he went like a bat out of hell. I wasn't impressed by him, either.

A red 2006 Mustang pulled up next to me at a light and the guy threw me the finger. I blew him a kiss to his utter disgust and shock, and luckily the light changed and I took off slowly but surely as he raced by me. Not impressed.

The guys who simply waved without trying to show off -- the guy in the black 1968 Firebird, the guy in the 1955 Ford truck (which I want, dammit), the guy in the 1973ish brown Maverick and my favorite, the guys in the 1970's Galaxie convertible.

Sounds like you live in a real friendly part of the country....
Old 09-05-2006, 03:26 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00Sounds like you live in a real friendly part of the country....
No, just one with a lot of men.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Know what ya mean.. Just rollin back to the house from the lake in the 72 Formy, a kid in a 99-04 GT vert comes flyin up behind me. I have 3.70 gears in the formy right now, so its no top ender, besides its a two lane road that winds through trees and past a really big lake (Maybe you have heard of it, its the largest freshwater lake in the world, called Superior or something liek that..lol)

Well once he gets on my rear, there are cars comin the other way, so he is riding the bumper of a car that is worth $15k more than his now and he doesnt know it, but I do.. Unthrilled about it too.. So he finally passes me on a curve and a small pickup pullin a small boat as well, hes gotta be doin over 100 right there.

So who is he tryin to impress? The car that will 1/4 mile a full second faster than his or the guy pullin a boat with a beat up rusted out Datsun?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Due to the impending rain I didn't get to cruise today. Just was able to go to the body shop to have a lock fixed and that was it, but did have a good sighting.

2 cars in front of me, turning into Auto Zone, was a 1966 Mustang, same color as mine, same everything but for the 289 emblem on the front. As he turned, the passenger turned to check out my car and I waved, he waved back, and as I drove by, both looked at my car. I was in a hurry so did not pull in to talk to them. Both waved and smiled.

So, in case they ever read this board, if you were in the 1966 Mustang pulling into Auto Zone on Hathaway Road today, and a redhead in a green 'Stang waved at you, well, it was me.

I've yet to run into a moron in my town, just the surrounding towns for some reason.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you are only getting 15 miles per gallon with that 6 banger, then you have something set up wrong. I get over 20 on the highway, and around 18 in the city with my 289 2V.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

If you are only getting 15 miles per gallon with that 6 banger, then you have something set up wrong. I get over 20 on the highway, and around 18 in the city with my 289 2V.
Nothing is wrong. It runs like it came off the showroom floor and I'm very well aware of why it's burning more gas since it was fixed. I'm happy as it is and 15-16 MPH is good enough for me. That's 98% city driving, too .. I rarely take the highways around here. I'd rather go the long route and take a country road.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Glen, your such a liar. i think i get about 15 with my 289 2v. If i was out driving with my 66, and i saw you pammie, i might have ne compelled to race around with you, but in a fun way totally. I respect old cars..... of course i do, since i own about 5 of them. Hey, im single pammie, but i might be to young for you.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Hey, im single pammie, but i might be to young for you.
If you're old enough to drink you're legal for me.

Quick Reply: Labor Day morons