Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Average cost of Gasoline in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Average cost of Gasoline in your area?

With the cost of fuel dropping some, I'm just curious as to what the average is in other areas?

I'm in N Ctl Fl and it seems we're above average for the state. Which makes no sense because one of the nations largest and most active port is only 70 miles away.

** This is average cost of 87 Octane per gallon.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Average cost of Gasoline in your area?

i can't vote cause the guy i buy gas from gives me 10 cents off a gallon cause i pay cash and that takes me to $2.33 a gallon which little by little helps
Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

we pay AUS$5.26 for regular, which here is 91 octane (US$3.99) and $5.63 for premium - 98oct (US $4.29). I run premium mixed with AvGas. Costs about $80 US to fill the tank from empty
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

I'll bet it smells great though! (No wonder I have so few brain cells left )
Is your Octane rated by RON, MON or PON?
How much compression are you running? or are you running some type of forced induction?

If it is PON, or MON, that much octane at less than 11:1 will actually hurt your power output, and can make your car run hot.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

we rate RON...what's teh difference and what's your 87?
Compression is about 11:1 from memory. it hates the low octane stuff...pings and gunks up the plugs. older cast heads, but really well done at the time. nice port job etc. next time the valves go, i will replace with hardened ones for unleaded and then not have to use avgas unless i want to take it to the track for a day.
we get a lot of variability in fuel quality so I use the avgas at about 3 or 4 gallons per tank to even it out and it makes a big difference. not legal here, but, hey, catch me if you can
Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

RON= Research Octane Number. We used to go by this, but it wasn't really accurate as Marketing jumped in and blew it out of proportion to what was really making it to the pumps. So they took RON and divided it by MON (Mean Octane Number , more conservative, and IMO closer to reality), to come up with what we use now "PON" or Pump Octane Number. Probably the best thing that came of this is now you can go to any major gas station, and get a very close Octane fuel from tank to tank.
So in reality, your 98 RON would be equivelant to about 92 Octane here. Your 91 Octane would be roughly like our 87 Octane.
At 11:1 compression with worked heads, I can see your need to mix Av Gas.
Our Av-Gas is also kind of a mixed bag. I buy racing gas if I have the choice. Our Av-Gas is rated in groupings, so one tank may or may not be the same as the next. Makes it a real bitch to try and be consistent. Aircraft have timing and mixture adjustments in the cockpit, so variable Octane rates as long as they remain in the same grouping is OK ...I guess. At least that's the way the fuel company explained it to me when I told them their fuel was inconsistent.
Our over the counter racing fuel is very consistent as long as it's fresh.

Scott
Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Southern California. Always staying over 3.40 for regular.
I think highest i ever paid was around 3.86 for premium
Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

I use 98 ron or 99 ron, it don't know what it's like in oz but we did have the marketing crap about octane as it is detemined by a standard method. Here is what i found out from shell

What does the abbreviation "RON" stand for?
A: RON stands for "Research Octane Number" The knock resistance of the fuel in the CFR test engine is determined without preheating at 600 rpm. If the RON is too low, acceleration knocks occur (these are usually audible).

Q: What does the abbreviation "MON, stand for?
A: MON stands for "Motor Octane Number". This determines the knock resistance of the fuel in the CFR test engine with preheating at 900 rpm. lf the MON is too low, high speed knocks occur (these are particularly dangerous, as they are usually inaudible because the engine is too loud!).

Q: What does dm abbreviation "SON'?
A: SON stands for "Street (or Road) Octane Number". This determines the knock resistance of the fuel in a series production engine. The SON specifies the octane rating requirement of the vehicle.

Q: According to DIN standards, how high must the octane rating be?
A: Regular petrol: At least 91 RON and 82,5 MON. Super petrol: At least 95 RON and 85 MON. Super Plus petrol: At least 98 RON and 88 MON.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I filled up at Wal-Mart yesterday and paid 2.59, but the average for central Texas is probably around 2.62
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I saw it for $2.57/9 yesterday, but most places are around $2.65.

The highest price in the state is at a station in my town and was $3.09 yesterday

Quick Reply: Average cost of Gasoline in your area?