Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

In what order?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
amchief

Default In what order?

Im preparing my 70 Mach1 for some sheet metal replacement. In what order would you do?

Tailight panel
Both wheelhouses inside and outside
Lower part of each quarter
Trunk floor left and right
Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: In what order?

start from the inside out thats what i would do but i am not an auto body person
Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

well take it apart by first cutting the old quarters away leaving a good 4-6 inches of space to graft the new skins on.

remove the outer wheelhouse and pay attention to the bracket under the skin but welded to the top of the wheelhouse.

Replace the inner wheelhouse with the old trunk floor still in the car, just do not weld the old floor to the wheelhouse where you will be replacing it. That will give you a guide for where to put the trunk floor, sort of a baseline.

One the wheelhouses are in and welded to the front part ahead of the rear end hump, then you can remove the fuel tank and do the floor. Make sure you dont weld to parts of the rear panel you will replace later. Pay particular attention to the rear frame rails, they must be welded correctly and have enough heat penetration so the weld doesnt come apart.

The outer wheelhouse needs to be fit to the quarter panel, you need to tack weld it in there very lightly at first so you can break/grind the weld if you need to adjust it slightly. Check for fit with the quarter skin before any final welding.

Weld up the quarter panel after you have the trunk extensions and wheelhouses done. Doing it that way will give you the most room possible to cut, grind, and weld.

Do the tail panel last and be extra carefull with the rear portion of the quarter panels where the tail panel meets them.

Always check the next piece or two pieces to be sure they will line up before any final weld. You dont want any wavy quarters now do you? Surfers will chase your car down to ride the waves if you do it wrong..

Have ALL new the pieces there before you cut ANYTHING. Its easier to cut off metal than it is to fill in a 1/4" gap. measure twice cut once and butt welds are much better and easier to finish than overlapping welds on the quarters.

Good luck and I hope you are a very experienced welder.. If not, you will be when you get the trunk and wheelhouses in. Short spot welds on the outer skins, no beads on anything, all spot welds linked together after the previous set has cooled.

hope that helps..
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 PM
amchief

Thanks for the advice.