Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Ride clean up...bittersweet

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Rider72

Default New Ride clean up...bittersweet

I recently got this 65 after my pop passed away. It's a mostly original C type 289. The factory color was the Honey Gold (like the interior). I just had dual flowmaster put on after the original exhaust rotted from the muffler (sounds sweet). I changed out the air filter to give it a bit more pep....Probably going to spruce up the engine a bit to make it look a little less....brown. The milage is 35k, we are still debating if they are original miles. The carpet needs to be changed, its not bad but stained and ripped in all the usual spots (heel grind). I like the look of it now...but its just getting grungy...so I'm considering redoing the interior (yes has the luxury pony package)....wheel change ect.

By all counts and admission...I'm a car noob'. I would love to hear any thought /feedback from members here. I have been lurking for a couple weeks off and on while I do my home work on it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45358/B125BAA077014D0DA787DD33553D104B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45358/C9BE114748F541C9AC1A23C69BA206A1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45358/184AF053919A4D9DA6622A1C808EAF05.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45358/C67BB884EFEA47FAAD7844EB81562981.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45358/43C5DDEF08CB494DBBBD86E5D60E1F4E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New Ride clean up...bittersweet

Welcome!!! Good looking ride you have there. Your dad must have really enjoyed his stang to take care of it like that...Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. Seems he left you a wonderful reminder of him that you can care for, for years to come. Just change the fluids and check the brakes for starters. I'm sure you will find other needed repairs as time goes along....enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

that is one CLEAN mustang - I wouldn't change a thing!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Rider72

I'm sure Ill sit on it a while and mull it over...just tune it up ect.... I havent gotten around to scrubbing the seats yet...so that might make me feel better.

Those off the rack pep boys generic floor mats though....those *****'s are gone asap.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i dont know why, but your interior to me feels like it Belongs in that car. idk, other then black, that is my favorite interior. if i had a year like yours it would be that interior colors
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Sorry for your loss, man. But I do have to say this is a stunning car. I'm not a big fan of the 65/66 models, but this one I would say is gorgeous. The whole color scheme throughout the car is very well put together and it all just fits. The engine bay just might need a little sprucing up, but it is still not bad by any means. I wouldn't change a thing on that car except maybe getting new interior, but of course same color scheme.

Have fun with it! I know you will!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

sorry about your old man, but that's a nice inheritance.

personally, i would not change the interior except for the carpet, which is pretty easy and wont damage originality. the seats look in good condition from the photos.

following Cogtx comments, if the car has been sitting around for a while, I would get it healthy before driving too much. That is, change the oil and filter, plugs, leads, points and clean the cooling system out yourself. They gunk up when sitting around and once you start driving will loosen up mud and rust particles. There is a filter you can put in the top hose and a variety of radiator cleaner products. DONT replace the radiator or heater core until the system is pretty clean or you just end up gunking the new gear (as I did with mine). Replace hoses, coolant, belts, brake fluid (check pads etc)...generally a good service and tune up. Make sure your temp guage is working. Degrease the engine bay so as you start driving it any leaks will become apparent pretty quickly.

then drive it for a while before doing anything you may regret later!!

good luck
Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Sorry for you're loss man, my condolences to you're family...

That mustang looks to be in VERY nice shape and a great base to start. Just make sure the shocks, brakes, ball joints and tie rod ends are all in good condition. Go over the mechanical first and be sure its safe and road ready. Then start thinking about mods.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Very sorry for your loss.

Like the rest have said - wake her up slowly and watch for everything. It's been asleep, it'll take some TLC to get her back in road worthy shape. Change all fluids, regardless if you think they've been changed recently or not. Nothing worse to have a failure due to a fluid.

Then on the mechanical end of things. Do a once over and be sure everything is in safe operating condition.

Good luck with it
Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

My condolences about your dad. Just by looking at the interior shot, it appears the dash pad is a darker color than the rest of the interior. It should be the same tan/brown as the rest of the interior. I love that color combination for a white car.

Quick Reply: New Ride clean up...bittersweet