Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how safe are our cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how safe are our cars

My worry is more being hit in the back, with that gas tank ready to go ... think Pinto.

Sure, our parents survived but the world was a different place back then and things were at a much slower pace. No super highways, just back country roads where you went slower, were respectful of others and most people didn't drive like morons.

My regular vehicle is a brand new SUV but that can be deadly if I were to take a turn at the wrong speed, too.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: our cars were made during the time period where literally 100's of people were dieing daily in car crashes....
It's still over 100 deaths per day now.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:28 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the cars that u see on the 60 minutes show are un maintained cars that probably had the original gastanks and we all know that raw gas smell that comes from one or a bad filler neck hose but with the exception of air bag, federally mandated crash saftey bumpers in 1973 and three point belts the car would more than likely meet all federal mvss for the 2006 year and do fairly well in crash test just because the trunk floor is the gas tank doesnt present that much of a problem. there are alot of other makes out there that did this in the 60s its just the mustang that takes all the heat because its so popular and so mant are still on the road. the new crown vic present the same problem of igniting when hit hard from the rear and what car would not thats hit with tremendous impact.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Would a blow up doll on your lap count for an air bag?
I can hear the conversation now... "But honestly officer, I'm just being doubly safe!" [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

They do make some shields that mount between the trunk and the back seat to help in a rear collision. I dont really think the ones I have seen would help much though. They were very thin, and if I remember right did not cover the package tray. My 06 mustang has the gas tank in back also. It is not the trunk floor, but i dont think it would take much of a crash to rupture it.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

ever seen an old stang get rearended hard? not pretty. heres my moto while driving the stang- dont hit anything but if you do, hit it goin about 120 so you dont have to be in a wheel chair the rest of your life.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

ever seen an old stang get rearended hard? not pretty. heres my moto while driving the stang- dont hit anything but if you do, hit it goin about 120 so you dont have to be in a wheel chair the rest of your life.
That goes for any car that gets hit hard enough in the rear. You could put tank armor and a thick metal divider behind the rear seat to maybe keep the gas from erupting and spraying on the inside, but other than that, all cars gas tanks will erupt given enough force. I have been driving cars since the mid 50's, and have only had one fender bender. The key is to drive with both eyes open and staying alert to everybody else on the road. Most "accidents" occur because of driver error, not the condition or age of the car.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
dawtips
2nd Gear Member

Our cars are tanks compared to newer cars. I got hit the other day... for the 3rd time... Imagine a Honda Civic with all the panels on the passenger side all crushed in. Now check out the damage done to my car here
Old 09-10-2006, 03:45 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dawtips

Our cars are tanks compared to newer cars. I got hit the other day... for the 3rd time... Imagine a Honda Civic with all the panels on the passenger side all crushed in. Now check out the damage done to my car here
where are the pics of the honda now?

like i have said way before, in a different thread, our cars will rip thorugh MOST newer cars like tinfoil.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

our cars were made during the time period where literally 100's of people were dieing daily in car crashes....
So in the '60s 365,000 people died a year from car crashes then? LOL
Don't believe the hype

http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_02_01.html

Quick Reply: how safe are our cars