Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I have some questions, someone please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default I have some questions, someone please help

So i have decided to do a few more things to my car performance wise, other than just looks.

1) I want to get a K&N air filter, cuz I hear they are the best, the air filter I have right now is just some stock-ish one, anyhow do I go to Pep boys and tell them the make of my car 66 Mustang GT, then will they have a certain one I can buy? or do I have to take it to some kind of shop? Also, are they easy to put on?

2) I want to get a shift kit? I hear they make your car shift faster and all, how does it really work? Also, are there different types, or just one per model of car?

3) New cam, which is better Krane or Comp? I am looking for a cam that can get the job done, if you know what I mean But I want to be able to drive my car daily, so I am looking for a good all around one, any suggestions?

4) Changing gear ratios, or as I see people say, rear end. I am sorta unfamiliar with that, but I'd like to have mine set up where my car winds up more before it shifts, any suggestion on that?

5)I want to get a tachometer as well, I know my car is an auto, but with this stuff done I'd be intrested to monitor at what RPM the car shifts at and all, does anyone think this is a stupid idea to get a tach if you have an auto? Also, does anyone have links to certain tachs that would look good on an old mustang, and how the heck do you hook those things up?

Well, there you have it, hopefully someone can give me some advice, also are there any other simple upgrades I can do that aren't too major and don't require a new engine? thanks

Sorry for the million questions, but I seriously want to do this stuff, and I know I can get help from you guys here.

btw, my transmission is a c-4 auto, 3 speeds.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I have some questions, someone please help

I'm sure I'll get some $hit for this but I'd skip the K&N and get an air cleaner with a good paper element. There is some good information on the web regarding this subject. Check it out and make your own decision.

If you tranny is sound, a shift kit makes good sense.

The brand of cam is not as important as the grind. You'll need to take into consideration your entire set up, gears, carb(don't go too big), heads, exhaust, etc. Then talk to Crane, Comp, etc. to see what they recommend.

Mustangs run pretty short tires, usually 25" to 26" or so. With a non-OD tranny, I'd keep the gears in the 3.00 - 3.50 range. With OD, I'd say 3.25 - 3.91 or so. I had 3.89's in my 69 and recently swapped them for 3.25's. They are much more streetable with my C6.

A tach is a good thing, even with an automatic. Some of the classic Mustang specialty companies have repros of the original Shelby tach's. They make a nice "period correct" addition.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you will get lots of good information from others.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:27 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default yes

Well good news, I went to a transmission shop, and they owner drove my car, sorta awkard but it was pretty cool. He told me my car shifts too soon. So he is gonna give me a good shift kit, and he is gonna make it where my my car goes longer before it shifts, so after this it will be all good, it is gonna cost me 250, I have decided I don't want a new cam, and I checked out air filters today, but mine is aftermarket, I dunno what brand, but it gets the job done.

so after I get that done, my car is gonna ride like it looks, like a champ