Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

turn signal lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
mlhaycraft

Default turn signal lights stopped working

My turn signal lights stoped working. My hazards however still work. I thought that maybe it was the flasher itself but would my hazards still work? ANy sugestions?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: turn signal lights stopped working

Could be the turn signal mechanism in the steering column.
ORIGINAL: mlhaycraft

My turn signal lights stoped working. My hazards however still work. I thought that maybe it was the flasher itself but would my hazards still work? ANy sugestions?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

can you hold up the lever and it still works? its prob the turn signal cam if its that...

i still wouldnt count it out if it just totally dosent work but it dosent prove it....

if you decide to fix the turn signal lever type deal...i highly reccomend buying the whole assembly and not just the "repair cam". its a big pain and it didnt fit or work right for me...so i ended up paying for both like an idiot.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 PM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

same thing happened to me. Replaced all bulbs, flasher unit, traced down what wires i could see and nothing helped. Ended up taking it to an auto electric shop and it was a bare wire under the dash.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM
68pony5
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure what year Stang you have but on my 68 Mustang I had the same issue. The hazzards worked but the turn indicators did not. It ended up be the blinker unit. On a 1968 the hazzard and the turn indicators have seperate blinker units. This could be your issue too.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68pony5

I'm not sure what year Stang you have but on my 68 Mustang I had the same issue. The hazzards worked but the turn indicators did not. It ended up be the blinker unit. On a 1968 the hazzard and the turn indicators have seperate blinker units. This could be your issue too.
thats what i was thinking, i dont think they would use the same blinker unit for the turn signals and the emergance blinkers..
Old 09-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Could be as simple as a turn signal flasher gone bad. Check that out first. If you recently removed the steering wheel than there may be a prob with the turn signal assembly unit with a short or bad wiring. Check it out secondly. Might even be a loose wire in the harness assembly. Give it a try...good luck!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 PM
68pony5
1st Gear Member

Sean W.

The hazzard and turn blinker unit are interchangeable. The orignals are different P/N but the replacment work for both. If mlhaycraft takes the working hazzard blinker out and puts it in the place of the turn signal blinker it will tell him real quick where to focus and weed out the blinker unit. This what I did. Sean....thanks for the nice feedback of my black 68 pony pics.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Azure_Spirit
1st Gear Member

Check all the bulbs, I had a problum like that once.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Buy yourself a good multi-meter and learn how to use it. If you are going to be working with wiring and electrical stuff on your car, you will use it many times in the future.

Quick Reply: turn signal lights stopped working