Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My Hood scoop is on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:31 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My Hood scoop is on!

No, that's because there is soooo much power under that hood, the scoop is turning red..
ORIGINAL: Soaring

Looks like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: slickman

No, that's because there is soooo much power under that hood, the scoop is turning red..

You nut..... Have you had it dynoed since you got her put together and running, or are you waiting to break her in?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Not yet, going to put about 500 hundred miles on her first. Then going to find a tuner near me and have them do their thing..

You nut..... Have you had it dynoed since you got her put together and running, or are you waiting to break her in?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I think the hood will look just fine for now, until you can spring for the one piece hood. Why not just make this one functional?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I don't like scoops on cars for looks. I would only install one for hood clearance or for performance. But to each his own.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Its all done, here it is all painted and mounted.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26659/63128638AEDC4EE5A65802E29A771252.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Cannonball888

Personally, I don't like scoops on cars for looks. I would only install one for hood clearance or for performance. But to each his own.
Hey, for once in the last week or so, I have someone who agrees with me. I was beginning to think this classic section was for restomods only. I have to confess though that I have factory side scoops on my 03 Mach1 that are dysfunctional. It is just a body design based on the Shelby brake cooling scoops that Ford decided was a selling factor for the Mustangs. I guess if it all boils down to complete funtionality, we wouldn't have the chrome side sweeps on our 65 and 66's either. They are totally dysfunctional and hell to get polish in and out of that damn crevice. BUT, it is factory, and Slick's fake hood scoop is not.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:35 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

But it is factory, its for a 2004 mustang It is a real hood scoop, not a fake one.. I only need to punch a hole in the hood to make it functional. I just don't want to right now because I'm going to get a brand new hood in a year or so when the painting gets done. I like the way hood scoops look, they look sweet...

BTW, this is a restomod area...[sm=laughat.gif] [sm=joke.gif]

Hey, for once in the last week or so, I have someone who agrees with me. I was beginning to think this classic section was for restomods only. I have to confess though that I have factory side scoops on my 03 Mach1 that are dysfunctional. It is just a body design based on the Shelby brake cooling scoops that Ford decided was a selling factor for the Mustangs. I guess if it all boils down to complete funtionality, we wouldn't have the chrome side sweeps on our 65 and 66's either. They are totally dysfunctional and hell to get polish in and out of that damn crevice. BUT, it is factory, and Slick's fake hood scoop is not.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

But it is factory, its for a 2004 mustang It is a real hood scoop, not a fake one.. I only need to punch a hole in the hood to make it functional. I just don't want to right now because I'm going to get a brand new hood in a year or so when the painting gets done. I like the way hood scoops look, they look sweet...

BTW, this is a restomod area...[sm=laughat.gif] [sm=joke.gif]

If it's a hood scoop for a 2004 Mustang then what model? I think you could really go a step further and add a functional scoop. Take a look at the 68-69 428CJ Kr Mustangs and try to manufacture their functional hood scoops. You will be able to keep out the water, plus add the extra fresh air. But, as you have pointed out......you will only gain a few extra horsepower at a tremendous cost. The K&N air filter thing from the right or left side of the 65 and 66 front ends is the best way to get fresh air to the carb, but that has been tried with little difference in performance. I know on my 03 Mach1, the K&N made little difference in performance from the factory filter.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:54 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Very true, it's allot of work with not much return. I do like the way it looks...

Quick Reply: My Hood scoop is on!