Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modified Rally Pac

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default Modified Rally Pac

In the evenings over the past week I've been working on putting together an old Rally Pac I got off ebay (had a bad tachometer). Instead of a tachometer, I installed a D-PIC gauge from Auto Meter. This thing is amazing. Basically it is two accelerometers, one for fore/aft and the other is side to side, with a computer for analysis, and the requisite digital read outs. Along with giving you G force info in all four directions it will give you 0-60 and 60-0 time, 1/4 mile time (to include reaction time), and Horse Power at the wheels. It's enough to drive a math wizard crazy!

Anyway, I thought it would be really cool to see how the car does handling and brakes wise with the 6 cylinder, and then next spring compare that to the V8. My thinking is that I should have a lower 60-0 time, and higher lateral G force with the 6 cylinder all else being equal.
I plan to start the exercises this weekend. Should be fun. Just for the heck of it, I might even run a 1/4 mile for laughs.

The Rally pac would fit a 2-5/8" gauge perfectly. the D-PIC only comes in 2 1/16". I need to find a nice trim ring to finish off the install. Other than that it was really easy to put together.

If anyone has a clock **** they want to sell, Please let me know. It's the only thing I couldn't find in the aftermarket. Anyways, here's a picture as it sits now:

[IMG]local://upfiles/16598/6353621A4E1740CEB3681B2F7DEEE66A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Modified Rally Pac

It will be much more useful than a tach
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 PM
mustang652
1st Gear Member

Nice looking mod
Old 09-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

It will be much more useful than a tach
Definitely! With the 6 cylinder you wind it up until the power falls off. That's 5K rpm. Now when the V8 goes in, I've got a repro Shelby tach for the dash

Eventually the D-PIC will end up in a pod somewhere. I'll install a proper 2-5/8" gauge for something useful like boost pressure. I was just out messing around and it's pretty cool. Kind of a fun way to back up your "seat of the pants" feel when you make a change. More than anything it's a cool toy (in all honesty ).
Old 09-23-2006, 04:07 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

That is the coolest! I had not seen one like that, round like a gauge. I had seen the ones that suction cup onto the dash or windshield. Excellent mod! I'm very impressed.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

I had a little time to go play with the new gauge this morning.
First the bad news. My car weighs 3,110 lbs with a full tank of gas. what a fat little toad! So now I have another goal. I was expecting it to be just at 3,000 lbs. Oh well, just have more work to do.

Now the good stuff.
First off, my brakes are better than I thought. On a fairly smooth asphalt surface I did 60-0 in 117'. Threshold braking. Right front locked up at the last 3' due to some loose dirt on the surface. That is much better than I expected. My thought was about 125'.
Second 60-0 test was on a rough crowned asphalt surface. This time the front brakes locked up for the last 30'. I tried easing the pressure but the G force went down. Stopping distance was 122'. Still better than what I was expecting, but not by as much. I'm waiting for the rain to see if I can crank up the rear bias anymore.
That really made me happy. The G force on the first stop was 1.12 and the second stop was 1.08. I'm thinking there is room for improvement.

Then for fun I did two 1/4 mile runs. First run I bogged it off the line with a .39 RT and totally blew the 2-3 upshift ended up with a 19.4 and forgot to write down the MPH (what a squid ). Second run off a .09 RT had an ET of 18.36 with a trap speed of 74.9. That's a little better than I expected. I was thinking this car should run a mid 19 on a full tank. There is plenty of room for improvement, but I don't want to put another clutch in, so I'm going to hold off until the V8 is ready. Then right before I put in the V8 I'll see how much I can get out of this thing stock.
Didn't get to do any slalom or skid pad work to check lateral G force. As I don't have a roll bar yet, I'm a little shy of pushing it to the limit anyways.

It's a lot of fun to mess with. I found myself watching the gauge instead of the road, which is pretty stupid.
Anyways, it was a fun morning!

Scott
Old 09-23-2006, 05:08 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I thought I heard somebody doing brake checks on tracy blvd. yesterday....was that you scott? ahaha

Where did you go to test your 1/4 miles? the airport?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

ooooo thats a cool little gauge, could i mount one under the dash to see my 0-60s and 1/4 miles? mmmmm gotta find one and bust out my wallet [:@] looks great, nice mod!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Early on a Saturday morning there are lots of old farm roads out here in Dairy land.

Just got back from a trip to S.J. Via Coral Hollow. Managed a 0.99 lateral G on some of the turns. Tires were working hard but not squeeling. There's more in the car, but I want some protection, and a real track...and definitely a real motor! first. This gauge is a kick in the pants.
It will mount in any 2 1/16" pod. It will calibrate for non-level mounting positions, but the closer to level the more accurate it is going to be.

Well back to working on the house. Right after a brief intermission to toast with a beer!

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 08:23 AM
seefral

Do you still have the original Tach? If so let me know. Even if it's busted. I have a ralley pac with a missing tach. I can probably pay to have yours repaired

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Modified Rally Pac