Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

alternators

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:15 PM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

Default alternators

doea anyone have a one wire alternator? im going to get a (Power master) 160amp alt. from summit! i currently have a stock style alt. and want to know how you guys made the change?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: alternators

I have a 1-wire. I had already removed the entire harness from the engine bay when I made the swap. Basically, you'll just need to remove anything that connected between/to the alternator and voltage regulator. The only remaining connection will be between the alternator and the battery...and make sure you have 2 gauge or better wire.

Also, beware that the alternator is bigger than the stocker. I had to use a grinder on some mounting bolts in order to get the alternator to move properly. I also had to move my dipstick to the other side of the alternator mount.

Also, this alternator will pull your engine down like nothin' else. You'll want to underdrive it (bigger pulley on the alternator, or smaller on the crank). I dropped mine 20% and it still makes a noticable difference at idle when it has to pull to keep the headlights bright.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

hey,
i had bought a 1-wire alternator form summit racing, but it shorted out. The reason it shorted out was becuase the power stud on the back was so long that it hit the engine block and shorted. i found this out at a car show when the car just died on me. The 1-wire alternators are easier to install(because its only one wire ), but you have to rev your car to get them to start charging. i switched back to a 3-wire and i like it much better. What are you running that you need a 160 amp?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Why in god's name do you need a 160 amp alternator?? You running some BIG stereo amp or something? You should be fine with a 100 amp even with some added accessories.

ORIGINAL: ADRIAN1

doea anyone have a one wire alternator? im going to get a (Power master) 160amp alt. from summit! i currently have a stock style alt. and want to know how you guys made the change?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: slickman

Why in god's name do you need a 160 amp alternator?? You running some BIG stereo amp or something? You should be fine with a 100 amp even with some added accessories.

ORIGINAL: ADRIAN1

Occasionally Slick and I disagree on things, but on this we are shoulder to shoulder. You have to be out of your friggin mind to run a 160 amp alternator. You will fry every wire under the hood unless you replace them with very heavy gauge wire as mentioned.
If I were you, I would add up all the amps you will need at one time during the night.
1. Head lights
2. rear and interior lights
3. Stereo at full blast
4. Engine and VR/Battery charge

Then see what you realistically need. I guarantee you that you will not reach 100 amps draw no matter what stereo you have. Here's something else you may want to consider.
When upgrading to a higher output alternator you should always install a larger wire between the alternator and battery. Even with a standard output alternator you will get better performance and life out of your alternator if you upgrade the main battery wiring. The original wire just isn't large enough for proper power transfer.
If you are using your alternator to it's maximum output or when you upgrade to a higher output Alternator you must increase the wires size. An alternators ability to send the power it is making to the battery is directly related to the wire size and quality of connection between the alternator and battery.
Also, a wire that is to small when used on a high output alternator can cause the power to back up within the alternator making it overheat, burn up and fail.

Another area that little is paid attention to is the ground. You must also improve the ground as well. A poor ground will hinder the alternators ability to send power to the battery and can burn an alternator up just as fast as an inadequate alternator to battery wire. Your ground may be fine when you first install your alternator but over time corrosion and resistance builds up in the ground connections. This is why it is best to run the ground directly from the rear of the alternator to the battery.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 AM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

did i say 160! i meant 140. will this still cause me any problems??
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Same animal. Anything over 100 is pushing your wiring to the limit. If you have not changed out the engine harness to an upgraded harness, then you are asking for trouble with that high of an amperage alternator. Think about it. Your old wiring was designed for less than 50 amp alternators, and that was when the wires were new.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

you can get a ford 3rd gen alternator which is a 1 wire setup and they look nice cause it has a internal fan and they produce 130A easy and with a simple diode upgrade you can go 200A+ so thats what i would do
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Still more than you probably need, but I'm not feeling any pain from having 100 amps available to run my MSD...They'll only put out as much as you need...up to so many amps.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 AM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

ok, i just called summit and exchanged my 140 amp alternator to a 100 amp alternator. so you guys said i wont need any more than that right??

Quick Reply: alternators