Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

starting battery prob.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

Default starting battery prob.

got a question about my battery in my car. it is pretty small small enough to be a honda battery and i have a starting problem that has illuded me for a long time now and it getting very expensive (now that i have spent 300$ on replacing parts that may be causing it) but no luck.. my problem is that i have to tap on my solenoid when i turn the key for the car to start. my friend strongly says that its my battery it isnt big enough to start my car. i wanted to know if this was a reasonable explanation.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: starting battery prob.

Most likely. What is the cold cranking Amps on that little battery? You may also have a sticking solenoid. I would upgrade the battery to about 800 amps cold cranking power, and get a new solenoid while I was at the store. Solenoids are cheap.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

ok thanks hope it works.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

Check and see if all of the wires running to and from the starter solenoid are in good shape and no surface rust. make sure none of the wires are touching eachother. Does the solenoid click when you try and start the car or does it do nothing? When my battery use to get low the solenoid would just "click click click click" and it wouldnt start.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Sometimes small batteries can do more then you think. Take a look at the tag on the battery and see what the cranking amps are. You should have no problems starting a stock 289 with 650 - 750 cold cranking amps.. Even a new 500 cranking amps battery would work to start it. It sounds more like a solenoid issue, if you have to tap on it to get it to start, you're solenoid needs replacing. You should do that first, its cheaper then a new battery.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, if it's a red top battery, it will be small but strong.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

oh yea trust me ive replaced it many of time's , along with other things including the starter! which was a waste of money. but yea if the battery dosnt do the trick im gona go ahead and rewire the whole thing , wish that wasnt the problem but im getting convinced that its
Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well i would replace the solenoid anyway but i get my batteries at costco cause you can return them no matter what within 3 yrs so every 2 yrs i get a new battery which basically pays for the membership and its not that my battery is dead i am mearly taking advantage of what is offered to me and you can change battery sizes they don't even care
Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

should i replace my solenoid too? i have a similar problem...my 1st batt that came with the car died and my car always did that clicking sound....i bought another batt....that one died....so i got a new alternator, let the car run after jumping it with the dead batt and new alternator to charge the batt a bit, and i turn it off, turn it back on, and it still dosent start....no cranking power....is the problem likely the solenoid? the thing looks sort of old....
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

hey shift101easy,
Check to make sure you dont have anything that is on and draining the battery. Also check to make sure the alternator is hooked up correctly and is charging the battery. Also charge up the battery and start the car, after you turn the car off disconnect the battery and let it sit for a couple of days. Hook back up the battery and try again, this will tell you if your battery is being drained by something. the solenoid is cheap enough so you might as well replace it to prevent and problems in the future.

Quick Reply: starting battery prob.