Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Default Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!

I think it's silly to not keep your mind open to all manner of classic mustang ownership. For me the importance lies in preserving the breed. There are many who prefer the original side of restoration and ownership, keeping things the way they were. There are also many who like the idea of making changes to their cars to suit their own personal tastes. So whether you are here trying to find out what color the power steering pully should be on your 66 coupe, or you are here looking for information on stroked small blocks and air-ride suspension, I salute you.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Room 4 Everyone

+1 that why i say its your car so you should enjoy it and not make it so your neighbor does cause its not his car
Old 09-29-2006, 07:51 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

I've said before, if you have a near mint car that can be made close to concours correct DO IT. Keep the classic alive that way. But, if you are like me and 60% of your car is missing..... then do whatever it is that floats your boat.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jarrettdad

I've said before, if you have a near mint car that can be made close to concours correct DO IT. Keep the classic alive that way. But, if you are like me and 60% of your car is missing..... then do whatever it is that floats your boat.
What if the boat is at the bottom of a very deep lake?

I cant stand to have anything stock. Especially a 50-60s era vehicle, there are very good reasons we dont all drive around on red line bias ply tires. There are even better reasons why new cars dont have drum brakes, most not even in the rear. Sure its nice to have one just like it came off the showroom, but its also nice to have one that you can actually drive.

Cars were built for what? Transportation. How does a car serve its purpose if it sits in a garage and rides a trailer? Sure some are quite rare, but they should still be driven, albeit sensibly.

Now there are things I dont agree with doing, like taking a nice relatively original car such as a Mach1, Torino or GTO and cutting it up to turn it into a 4x4, or dropping a 6 cylinder from a skyline in it just to be different. Some things annoy or disgust me but in the end, its their car not mine. Another very annoyoing thing is someone walking up to me and telling me I shouldnt have headers, or or it has the wrong tires, or it shouldnt have that alternator or those heads on it..

If you like chalk mark restos and show cars, hey I think thats cool. I can appreciate the time effort and money that goes into a resto of tha caliber, but please dont rip on me because my car is the wrong color, has too wide of radial tires, headers, or something else that isnt stock. Not everyone wants a modified car, not everyone wants a stock car, not everyone wants a fast or even interesting car. (ie anyone who owns civic or prius..) Some of us enjoy workin on the car daily, or weekly, some of us enjoy changing 15 things just to make one thing work right that wasnt there before. Some of us just like to put gas in and check the oil once a month.

Its all good as long as you understand that everybody isnt like you are and they dont think the same or like the same things you do..

One thing that is bad all around though, is bad info. Someone writes something down, people who have no clue take it as law, and then ittakes on a life of its own. Then you have to fight against a whole train of thought based on a bad idea to begin with. There are many ways to achieve the same thing with cars, but some things are only possible in the movies..
Old 09-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Jamison
1st Gear Member

I chose to mod my car out a bit... its a 64 1/2 with a 289 4barrel with subframe connectors modded suspension and steering.
I enjoy driving the car with the mods it makes it fun, without the mods i got compliments on the looks but it just wasnt fun to drive.
I have found out being new to this hobby I have gotten burned out on car shows and cruise ins.
the car shows i dont enjoy hanging around all day for and not being able to leave. the cruisins i have been to i always run into too many idiots that think they know everything and are always giving negative comments. last friday after having a horses *** tell me my car sucked... tried to tell me it wasnt the origional engine (which it was) etc. I told the guy it was probably a good thing he didnt own my car and that he should get lost. he got kinda offended and walked away but at least i didnt have to deal with him

as far as im concerned the car may be worth more stock but i dont think so.. anyways its what its worth to me as im never going to sell it.
when my nephew gets older i may will the car to him someday
Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Negative comments should be taken lightly, it's your car and do what you want to do to it. It is nice to stop on a dime, steer smoothly, corner nicely, and ride like the wind!!! Can't beat 4 wheel disc brakes and power rack and pinion steering!!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I don't like the looks of an all original mustang with hubcaps--sorry. I think they need the muscle look. I'm afraid if I had a cherry, I would definately pop it!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I guess everybody has their ideas about what a classic Mustang is. But, my idea of what a classic Mustang is, is that it is as close to factory original as is possible. If it is not factory original, it is not a classic Mustang. It is a bastard if you heavily mod it. Changing the body configuration such as the movie version with the Eleanor and adding engines and other power enhancements are not what the Classis Mustang is all about. The operative word here is "Classic." You restomod guys can do all you want to make your ride better for your application, but you can never take that classic back to its original Classic condition if you heavily mod it. We are not talking about Shelby Mustangs, so don't give me the sermon about how Carroll changed the basic Mustang.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:18 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I guess everybody has their ideas about what a classic Mustang is. But, my idea of what a classic Mustang is, is that it is as close to factory original as is possible. If it is not factory original, it is not a classic Mustang. It is a bastard if you heavily mod it. Changing the body configuration such as the movie version with the Eleanor and adding engines and other power enhancements are not what the Classis Mustang is all about. The operative word here is "Classic." You restomod guys can do all you want to make your ride better for your application, but you can never take that classic back to its original Classic condition if you heavily mod it. We are not talking about Shelby Mustangs, so don't give me the sermon about how Carroll changed the basic Mustang.

thats true Glen, you saw the 65 mustang coupe back i the day when you were in austin, and you thought, "its perfect how it is, doesnt need anything changed"

i saw cartoons with muscle cars in it, movies and whatnot (NOT FAST AND FURIOUS) and thats what i want, i want a muscle car, i want a big engine and loud roar, black with red flames, however it has to be done.

im not saying your wrong, im not saying im wrong. everyone wants something different
Old 09-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

I am going to mod my car.... whne i can get a job and can afford to do the changes that i want to do i am going to change the hood, change the trunk lid, change the transmission, change the wheels ( something like Mojoes ) , get modern guages, get a front spoiler, new skirt etc etc. i like the classic look with modern performance. the modern look just does not look good to me, to curvy, thats why i like the mustang over teh camero :P

BTW some of you may be wondering why i cant get a job, im only 15 years old....

Quick Reply: Mod it or leave it? It's up to you!