Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Should I Get A New Door?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Should I Get A New Door?

the bottom corner is rusted out and the door skin is rusted through also....someone who owned it before put some silver stuff on it or something.....the outside shot is where i cut out the rust and patched the hole with fiberglass and put fillern to smooth it all out.....should i get a new door or what.....i cant really decide....?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12972/BE3406B3E632462799E312A02C545465.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12972/C97F8AFBF52E40798690C0251EFD7D3B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Should I Get A New Door?

Do you have a welder, and can you weld?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

i can weld but dont have one........which is why i have this dillema....i know its goign to cost a crap load to get this thing fixed at a shop....so.....yeah.....
Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, then take it to a body shop and get an estimate for repair to replace the rusted out parts with new metal. You may even have to replace the door skin. Take it to several shops to get a more accurate average cost. Then with that figure in hand, see what a new door would cost you and decide which route would be the most economical. You may even find out that buying a welder and new metal will be the most economical route, and you will get to do your own repair. Good luck with it either way you go.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

ya get a estimate and then you can see what is more cost effective for you.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the silver stuff is probably metal fill its an alumnium based filler not supposed to absorb moisture used for small pits etc and supposedly a better foundation for a primer over regular filler. now with that said how is the front uner the filler? have u checked? or did u just do the filler work? rough estimate for just that are probably would say 200$ probably what we would charge to fix the door cut the rust out clean it with acid spray it with the weld thru primer then smooth out and undercoat the inside of the door now what year is your car? mines a 65 i got a brand new drivers door from the mca show in augusta in 2004 (i think it was?) it was had a dent in it so it couldnt be sold as new i think i paid something like 60-80$ it fits fine and ligned up well the metal is a little thinner but whos gonna know that! so it more of a toss up u could get an new door or solid used for that matter but consider shipping unless u can pick one up at a show! both gonna come out to about the same amount also consider the new dooris rust free and u can undercoat the inside well and seal it compared to a new door that could have rust all along the seam
Old 10-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

i have a 68 coupe. so basically....i live in the same vicinity as mustangs plus, mustang parts house....and even sacramento mustang i guess....i mean none of them are VERY close...but are within driving distance....sort of an all day thing so its a pain in the ***....ive been stripping the rest of the door down....what a warped piece of crap....got lots of litle dents all over it.....i guess im probably better off getting a new door shell.....yippe another $400 bucks to hold me back from getting this thing in the paint shop.....CRAP...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 AM
ChaseFuller

well if you can get your hands on a welder i would say go that way itll save you some money and you will have it for later needs.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:29 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

have u ever welded before maybe buy a welder and do it urself if u know how ont be too far off in price?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

i mean i welded for two years in high school....im sure i coudl do it....but to fix a door....buy a decent welder....possibly eff it up....u know....i dono if its worth tryng to save a bit of money....

if i were to just buy a new one.....where is the cheapest place to get one from? anyone know....?

Quick Reply: Should I Get A New Door?