Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Old wheels back on

Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Old wheels back on

Yeah, I would say we are definitely the minority on this board.

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: earlymustang

i like it w/ the hubcaps.
Thanks Matt. I knew my old original bud would like it.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Soaring, got be the white walls for me or maybe double red bands for the tires, I must admit i don't like the 65 hubcaps, especially as i have 3 now!!! I think the 66 hubcaps better IMO 65's look a little cheap I know you like to keep it real but I am getting 66 hubcaps mainly as there were cheap on flea bay $75 for 4 pick them up at weekend in the UK. I looked at alloys but in the end i think the money can be better spent. My un hub-capped stang is being to grow on me though!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: earlymustang

Yeah, I would say we are definitely the minority on this board.
There is no reason to be. We are all mustang owners....restomodded or bone stock, everyone should appreciate all of these cars the same. I agree there does seem to be more modded rides than original classics, however, I can appreciate the originals just as much as I do the restomods (especially yours early! That is a BEAUTIFUL 'vert)....yes Soaring, yours too
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Regarding the Mag 500's.......Back 10 years ago when I bought them, there just wasn't much of a choice for a 14" wheel. Today, there are a few more to choose from, but not many that are decent looking. However, I spent almost a grand for the 4, so I'm pretty much stuck with them. As far as rims though, they are not obtrusive, and they don't scream CHROME! We all have our preferences, and you guys that have the 17 and up inch Chrome wheels like yours, but I have the philosophy that if the wheels distract too much from the car, then they are not the right wheels for that car.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:35 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Regarding the Mag 500's.......Back 10 years ago when I bought them, there just wasn't much of a choice for a 14" wheel. Today, there are a few more to choose from, but not many that are decent looking. However, I spent almost a grand for the 4, so I'm pretty much stuck with them. As far as rims though, they are not obtrusive, and they don't scream CHROME! We all have our preferences, and you guys that have the 17 and up inch Chrome wheels like yours, but I have the philosophy that if the wheels distract too much from the car, then they are not the right wheels for that car.
I agree with your philosophy. Its a common practice in transporation design when car designers sketch vehicle concepts, they put the most detail into the car itself and often leave the wheel area as a light pencil sketch outline. The wheels should definitely not be what makes the car. I also agree that it is verrrrrrrrry hard to make chrome rims work on cars. 90% of the time chrome rims are gaudy.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:13 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

mojoe, know what you mean i personally don't like your rims, I would powder coat the spokes gun metal or black, there is a fake twister special in the netherlands with the spokes painted the same orange of the car with black look well nice.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: paddy187

mojoe, know what you mean i personally don't like your rims, I would powder coat the spokes gun metal or black, there is a fake twister special in the netherlands with the spokes painted the same orange of the car with black look well nice.
I have a hard time visualizing how that would look nice. Sounds like it would look pimp.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:19 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

got it wrong just orange and chrome

[IMG]local://upfiles/40810/DDA81C6085A14A738C2596AA861B3F13.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paddy187

I have a hard time visualizing how that would look nice. Sounds like it would look pimp.
I'm not a big fan of the painted spokes either (and btw if I wanted the gunmetal powder coat look, I woulda bought Torque Thrust D's lol). It gets to be too monotone.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Wheels should Compliment the vehicle, not be the first thing people see on it.. Something the 22" spinner group has yet to realize, but who wants to notice an 83 Caprice in lime green and tan top with stickers adorning strange places? We need a puke smiley.

Glen the pic of yeller gives me an itchy photohop finger... I think I will go outside and itch it on the F150.. and scratch it later tonight..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old wheels back on