Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
rumblestang

Default dash lights

guys i have a 66 and the dash lights went out. My headlights work and the red dot that comes on with the high beams work but no dash cant see anything i pulled the dash off when i replaced it (which i have to do again now) could i please get help on what the problem could be.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 PM
rumblestang

Default RE: dash lights

no help??
Old 10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Prime suspect here may be the headlamp switch itself. Check for loose connections to the switch and try cleaning it up with some electronic spray cleaner. Otherwise, you might need to buy another headlamp switch. Here is a link with pic...good luck..keep us posted on your progress..

http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-4685.html
Old 10-08-2006, 06:53 PM
rumblestang

thanks man will do
Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

you blew a fuse
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: v6h.o.pony

you blew a fuse
Yeah, the first thing you should always do is check the fuses. You may even have a major ground wire that has come offf. Ya just gotta dig until you find it. If you don't have a good multi-meter to check the wiring, that is the first thing you need to get. I have a Fluke 75 that has saved my butt many times. Trace the wiring with the lights on from the dash back to the fuse box to where you get juice, then you will probably find the culprit wire or connection. Also, just for grins. Your headlight switch can dim the dash lights if you turn it all the way to the left. You may get lucky and play with the headlight switch by turning the know both ways and see if the dash lights don't come on. If not, you most likely have a bad headlight switch, or wiring problems between it and the dash lights.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
rumblestang

i changed all the fuses and did the turnin of the **** so i guess i have to keep diggin. kinda a pain to drive at night like that
Old 10-08-2006, 07:43 PM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

well i thought it would have been the fuses....the same exact thing happened to me and that was the problem
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes the brass connections in the headlight switch get corroaded and the little terminal clip which rotates with the headlight switch and does not make a good connection. I was able to clean the switch up and bend the clip to place more pressure on the contact spring. I know, it's tough to explain without good details from the pic but once you remove the switch, you will see what I mean...

[IMG]local://upfiles/19071/7C6A55C0457340B1A5AA8EBD911316DA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
rumblestang

thanks guys i will take all of your wisdom and apply it (correctly hopefully) but havent been able to get to my baby because ive been busy

Quick Reply: dash lights