Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can I replace this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can I replace this?

yes.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Musclecar fan_67
1st Gear Member

ok, from what ive heard from being on these boards for a while is that those cowl vents were a real pain in the @$$, numerous people have complained that it gets so rusted underneath the vent becuase water gets in there and just sits. they guy who had it before you probably was trying to resolve that issue and either sealed it before it got bad, or fixed it then sealed it. id leave it alone unless u really really want AC.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:01 AM
docchamberlin

is there any way around those vents with an aftermarket AC. Forgive my ignorance, but don't newer cars just recirculate air? And those vents aren't needed for heat are they?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 AM
stang65pony

i have replaced the undeside of the cowl panel on my 65. i had to remove at least 100 spot welds it seems and the "fillet" the panels apart, after that it really wasnt that bad, i too am shaving my cowl vents. i think it will looks smooth in the end, the handles, locks, emblems are all gone aswell. but the cowl vents are NO easy task
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The cowl vent not only allows outside air into the cabin, but also supplies the air to the heater so that you get heat and defroster. You may not want or need the vent, but you will need the heater and defroster to be working especially during the winter. And yes, you can install an aftermarket air conditioner, but it won't give you warm air during the winter. If it were mine, I would replace the cowl vent and repair the cowl if necessary.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

Not only is this car sweeeeeeeet!, But check out the custom cowl set up...i was gunna seal mine up but now my brain thinkin on what different approches you can do with a little fab work. I don't like to copy fab work but if i do this it will be similar..

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu.../photo_15.html
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

i think that is the sickest thing i have ever seen!!!!! i mean it and the car looks great too. now i might have to do that to mine also or some thing like it....!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

On a restomod, that would not only look good, but would be practical as well. No leaves in the cowl, and you still get the fresh air from outside.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Niteshade
1st Gear Member

Nice car. I am doing a 66 Coupe as well. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 PM
docchamberlin

MC,
you are correct sir. That car is phenominal. If I sold my house, and cashed out my 401K, and sold my plasma, sperm, and kidneys I might me able to afford something like that. Until then it looks as if I'll be getting to know the sander and ratchet a little better. But thanks for the input guys, you've definitely given me options.

Quick Reply: Can I replace this?