Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

No Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
ebluekeys
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: No Headlights?

If you pull out the heater control assembly just to the left of the headlight switch, it will give you just about 1/2 inch LESS room than you need to get at the switch. If you have small hands, you're lucky. I got my hand in, and almost didn't get it out!! It CAN be done. You have to "feel" for the little button to push, and it takes quite a bit of force - which is why I said to PRACTICE with the new one, so you know the "feel". The real trick is pressing the wire harness connector ON to the new switch!! It has to go on dead straight, or you risk bending one of the contact pins!! If it doesn't want to go on, it's either crooked, or you bent a pin... don't ask how I know this...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
High Desert 65

Hello all, Well what a day!!! I installed the new switch and guess what........still the same problem. Im digging deeper into the electronics part of this now. I put a meter on the plug ends at the headlights. Im not getting power to the low side. So its back under the dash time........I guess I will try to trace the hot wire out of the headlight switch down to the dimmer switch and up to the fire wall plug to the headlights.

Hello charlie, Yes this has been in the family. It has passed from father to son to my daughter. I remember back in 83-84 we put a new top on....smiled.....and folded the top down and put the rear leather cover on and forgot about it. Well I took it out of the garage when my daughter got her licence last month. I went to wash the car and started to put the top up. The motor was sluggish and I guess in need of a little fluid. After helping it up I looked over the general condition of this new top and found out the silicone strip on the back plexi glass was cracked and falling apart. I guess I cant complain seeing as this was the first time it had ever been up. The invoice fell out along with the bubble plastic they wrapped all over the metal parts so they wouldnt leave an impression on the new top. I was amazed it still had the new top smell to it after 23 years LOL. I will try to post a few pics soon.

Later Gator Tim
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ebluekeys

If you pull out the heater control assembly just to the left of the headlight switch, it will give you just about 1/2 inch LESS room than you need to get at the switch. If you have small hands, you're lucky. I got my hand in, and almost didn't get it out!! It CAN be done. You have to "feel" for the little button to push, and it takes quite a bit of force - which is why I said to PRACTICE with the new one, so you know the "feel". The real trick is pressing the wire harness connector ON to the new switch!! It has to go on dead straight, or you risk bending one of the contact pins!! If it doesn't want to go on, it's either crooked, or you bent a pin... don't ask how I know this...
I guess it's a moot point now Joe, but he has a 65, and the heater control is nowhere near the light switch. Somewhere in your wiring is a wire that has frayed and is either grounding out or is just dangling. Keep tracing..... However, I wouldn't be surprised that the new dimmer switch you installed is defective. 99% of the time when this symptom occurs, it is the dimmer switch.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 PM
High Desert 65

Soaring......dimmer switch meaning High Beam/Low beam? I Have already replaced all fuese. Headlight switch. New foot highbeam/low beam switch oh ya and 2 new headlights I even tried the old high/low switch and getting the same results. I put a meter on both foot switches and they show continuity out of both sides of the switch. Hmmmmmm Yes Im sure something is broken somewhere. Its just finding out where.

Later Gator Tim
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, if you are getting a hot reading out of the low and high side of your dimmer switch, then the trouble is most likely upstream somewhere between the switch and the headlights. Make sure all your grounds are clean too. What multi-meter do you have? I splurged a few years ago and got a Fluke 75. Man, that sucker is so accurate and easy to use. It also has digital read-out so you don't have to guess where the needle is as on the cheaper ones.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ideal_mustangs

Before you pull the switch, unplug the headlight harness from the car harness and take a little wire brush and clean both sides of that connector.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

ideal, at least he has a shiny new headlight switch!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Yes, thats true. But personally I'd rather have the original Ford light switch. The original one in my truck went out after about 30 years and I've been through 3 aftermarket switches now.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
High Desert 65

What was I thinking.....Grrrrr Thanks to Ideal_Mustang

quote:

ORIGINAL: ideal_mustangs

Before you pull the switch, unplug the headlight harness from the car harness and take a little wire brush and clean both sides of that connector.

This was the exact problem. I do not know how I skiped over your post. I guess I just looked at your signature picture on the bottom of your page, and forgot to read what you wrote. Thanks again Ideal_Mustang. Well heck. The old switch still works, as I left the new one in. I got 2 new headlights, and a new foot switch. I also got the experience of getting an impression of a gas pedal on the back of my neck, as my right arm pushed the brake in so AI could get a better view of the back of the headlight switch. Yaaaaa. My daughter is back in business, and off to homecoming football/dance tonight. The top is still giving me problems, but that will be on another post.
Thanks to all of you for helping a newbie out.

Later Gator Tim
Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Congrats on getting it fixed. And, I am sure your daughter will appreciate having a dimmer switch as she attends the Homecoming game tonight.

Quick Reply: No Headlights?