Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

carb spacer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 03:24 PM
jroseman
2nd Gear Member

Default carb spacer

are carb spacers a good bolt on for a performance engine, or are they just hype? do they really increase low end torque?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: carb spacer

I have used them years ago but never felt any gains. One of those shows on Spike is now using a dyno to prove performance gains with different add ons. It seems to me they were going to do a spacer plate. Maybe someone else has seen this. I miss those shows half the time.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:33 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

The real benefit is not so much in power gains but actually preserving your engine parts from heat. Phenolic spacers help keep heat from the manifold off of the carb, which can help with better fuel atomization (i.e. the air getting sucked into the carb isnt getting heated up as fast as it normally would if the carb was mounted directly on the manifold deck).
Old 10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Carb spacers will enhance throttle response and overall power on a performance engine. How much of a spacer is needed depends on the engine specifications, but I typically run a 1" open phenolic.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I use a phenolic spacer on my stock engine mainly to keep the heat from the intake manifold off the carb to keep it from vapor locking. I have read though, that the spinning (swirling) I can't remember the term, but the extra inch of space it takes for the gas/air mixture to reach the intake helps with a better air/fuel mixture for the best burn. Don't know. Aftermarket intakes may already have this feature built into them though.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:28 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I use a phenolic spacer on my stock engine mainly to keep the heat from the intake manifold off the carb to keep it from vapor locking. I have read though, that the spinning (swirling) I can't remember the term, but the extra inch of space it takes for the gas/air mixture to reach the intake helps with a better air/fuel mixture for the best burn. Don't know. Aftermarket intakes may already have this feature built into them though.
i as well use a spacer to reduce heat transfer and prevent vaporlocking. wanted a phenolic, but the local autostore didnt have one in stock and said the only bad thing about a wooden one is that long term use they are prone to warping.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

It really does depend on the quality of the wooden spacer, and how well it's taken care of. If the finish gets a knick in it, you have to be sure to reseal the wood or you will have problems. Cheaper models won't have as good a sealant and will allow fuel and moisture to absorb into the wood, warping it.

ORIGINAL: tokinGLX
i as well use a spacer to reduce heat transfer and prevent vaporlocking. wanted a phenolic, but the local autostore didnt have one in stock and said the only bad thing about a wooden one is that long term use they are prone to warping.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:17 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

what, you dont need a spacer? i have one, my dads, soon to be my brothers 71, has one. my friends vette and camaro has them, i thought it was just omething all engines have[&:]
Old 10-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

nope they are an aftermarket thing second the plastic ones are supposed to be a bit better cause they are less prone to warp
Old 10-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You are better off with a spacer. If you want to check, drive around without it for a while and see how you like it.

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

what, you dont need a spacer? i have one, my dads, soon to be my brothers 71, has one. my friends vette and camaro has them, i thought it was just omething all engines have[&:]

Quick Reply: carb spacer