Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default PROBLEM!

ok, lubes up my cam, oiled the journals, got it in, no problem. oiled the lifter ports, and lubed the bottom of the lifters, got the lifters in, except 1 lifter had a littl problem getting in. come to think of it, it had a problem getting out too. ok, when the cam pushes it up, it goes up no prob. but it is supposed to come down after, and it doesnt, it is like it is stuck, and you have to put a little pressure to get it down. what can i do to fix? will the pushrods push it down once they are on?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PROBLEM!

come on! anyone? 25 views and no replies?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

30?

its like, theres something in there, thats not suposed to eb there, and its holding it up when it gets into on eplace
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Patience! do you want incorrect information quickly, or correct information when someone who has been through this reads it?

First, look at the lifter and bore for scoring. Then you need to mic that lifter in comparison to the rest. Then you need to mic that lifter bore in comparison to the rest. If you are lucky the lifter will be incorrect. If you are not lucky and the lifter bore is too tight, you will need to dissassemble the motor and hone the lifter bore to the proper tolerence. Clean the block thoroughly and start assembly again. This is why professionals measure everything at tear down, and again after machining before starting assembly.
There are specific tolerences for your lifter bores. This should be spelled out in the rebuild manual you are using.
I sense by your lack of patience you are in to much of a hurry. Slow down! Pay attention to detail, and do it right the first time.

Good luck,
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

Patience! do you want incorrect information quickly, or correct information when someone who has been through this reads it?

First, look at the lifter and bore for scoring. Then you need to mic that lifter in comparison to the rest. Then you need to mic that lifter bore in comparison to the rest. If you are lucky the lifter will be incorrect. If you are not lucky and the lifter bore is too tight, you will need to dissassemble the motor and hone the lifter bore to the proper tolerence. Clean the block thoroughly and start assembly again. This is why professionals measure everything at tear down, and again after machining before starting assembly.
There are specific tolerences for your lifter bores. This should be spelled out in the rebuild manual you are using.
I sense by your lack of patience you are in to much of a hurry. Slow down! Pay attention to detail, and do it right the first time.

Good luck,
thanks, i asked my dad and he said to clean it out, , and i see wha your saying but if it were to tight, its only in one spot on the block.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Definitely make sure there is no damage to the bore. With the oil on the lifters and the tight clearance, there will be some tightness. If you can push it down with your finger without too much effort, your valve springs won't have a problem. Most of my lifters will stay up in the bores without the rest of the valvetrain.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Definitely make sure there is no damage to the bore. With the oil on the lifters and the tight clearance, there will be some tightness. If you can push it down with your finger without too much effort, your valve springs won't have a problem. Most of my lifters will stay up in the bores without the rest of the valvetrain.
yea, it worked for for 13 years without bending a rod or something. but im still going to clean it out first.