Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pertronix Ignitor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default Pertronix Ignitor

Is this ignitor system really effective?

Does it really make you carburator-based car start up more effectlively in cold weather?

So what exactly do you need? Just the electronic ignition module and a higher-voltage coil to give it that extra juice?

Anybody has one installed?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
DrBob67
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pertronix Ignitor

I installed a pertonix about 6 months ago. I did not need to put in a new coil. Just the part that fits right into the dizzy. The only issue I had was I had to run a new wire from the IGN switch to get enough power for it , bypassing the resistor wire. So far so good I'm happy with it.

I can't really comment on the cold weather question. It's not winter yet here in SoCal. The way we tell, is if you have to wear socks at night then you know it's winter in SoCal.

If the only thing that it does for me is to never have change points and condenser again I'm happy.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yes it is. Go to the FAQ sedtion to see how to hook it up.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Holy smokes Soaring, that's there too????????????

Man, I better do my research then.

Thanks!

Oh, Dr Bob, I'm here in Northern Calif, it's safe to say its a wee colder up here than your area.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

i have had the petronix for 9 years in my 200. have never had a problem with it and it does start a little better in the cold. i would suggest not using a factory style coil. i went through 3 coils and then put on an msd blaster and havent had a prob since
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Thanks man. I'm going with the Pertronix Flame Thower II 45,000 volt performance coil.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I put a pertronix ignitor in my 58 Chevy this past spring along with a flame thrower coil. It seemed to make a big difference, but I don't really know if it will improve cold weather starting yet. I do plan on making the same conversion in my 68 Mustang at some point in the near future just based off the improved warm weather performance of my Chevy, but I do plan to wait and see what happens this winter first. I guess you could say that I'm more than satisfied with it.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

I will install it, it's really not that expensive.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:22 AM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

I have petronix in my 66 istalled by the PO very reliable, if you are going for buy the petronix I is less expensive that the II and some people think that is more reliable, I also have the regular coil with no problems I even carry one ignitor for spare in case of fairlure on my trunk you can repalace it in few minutes..much better that the conventional points.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I have had mine in for about 6 months or so, and just used the conventional coil. It starts and runs better than my old point system did, that's fpr sure. I have been carrying my old set of points with me since I made the switch, just in case the Pertronix fails, but it hasn't yet.

Quick Reply: Pertronix Ignitor