Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I have a leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I have a leak :(

Went to see my mechanic about something else (GTO) but asked him to look at the engine leak. The body shop guy told him it was the head gasket. He looked, looked and said nope, it's the exhaust cover gasket. He traced the leak and could clearly see it.

Said not to worry, just bring it in when I can or I can do it after winter storage -- they need to pull off all the emissions tubing before getting to the gasket.

So, I'm feeling good, drive off and 10 feet away the steering wheel comes off in my hand! Holy ****, I panicked. Stuck it back on, turned around and went back and it came right off driving down the road. Stuck it on again, prayed I had steering, and brought it in. The look on their faces was hysterical! Seems the nut holding it has only a few threads (it's not the original one) so he put it on, but I believe he glued it (he put on some red salve) and now it's tight as hell, almost like non-power steering. Going back tomorrow to get it loosened. You'd need arms like Mr. T to drive that thing now.

If you have any suggestions, please make them -- I want a loose wheel but don't want the damned thing coming off in my hand again. It has one nut, that's it (uhh, no comment).
Old 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

He put loctite on it, it locks threads so fasteners won losen under normal conditions.. Consider it an **** retentive moderator that locks threads all the time..

I woudnt worry about the weeping, as long as you know its here and you check your fluids regularly..
Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I'm **** about checking fluids lol.

Now, this loctite stuff -- will it give him any problems if he needs to loosen the steering wheel? It's also not in the right position, a minor thing that will irritate me.

I don't want to get on his bad side -- this kid is the Pontiac expert there and has given me some rock solid information.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

I guess my work crossed over into my car hobby when I typed that out

And, what is your work Pammie?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:55 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring
And, what is your work Pammie?
If I told you that, I'd have to kill you.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

It just might be worth dieing for.

The red loc-tite will soften with heat, so no problem. You need the steering to be correct.
On your oil leak, are you sure he didn't say "valve cover gasket"?

Have a great weekend!

Scott
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

She has no idea what she is talking about Scott.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

It just might be worth dieing for.

The red loc-tite will soften with heat, so no problem. You need the steering to be correct.
On your oil leak, are you sure he didn't say "valve cover gasket"?

Have a great weekend!

Scott
He first agreed when I told him you said it's normal for them to "weep" .... I could swear he said exhaust cover gasket, but he could have said valve cover gasket ... between the exhaust manifold paint, motor mounts, engine paint, TOK and other things I need to get and he was tossing out, my mind was on auto overload.

He said they'd have to pull the emissions tubing, remove something and that would get them to the gasket, so if that sounds like a valve cover gasket, then that's it!

The steering wheel is cockeyed -- the 2 "spokes" that are usually at 4 and 8 o'clock are now at 7 and 11 o'clock, and my logo in the center is totally skewed. But damn, that wheels is SO tight now, you'd think I had no power steering. And the directional light not automatically clicking off is going to cause issues, because the classic rock is loud enough to cover the click click click noise.

PS: Yeah, what I do would shock Soaring down to his toes ... but then he'd be dead!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Dying for knowledge is worth it!!!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

The reason I had asked is that the leak you circled is on the drivers side. The exhaust is on the passengers side. The air injection hose does go over the valve cover, but I can't remember if that has to come off to service the valve cover gasket or not. Since I'm out enjoying the great state of Pennsylvania this week, I don't have any reference material (or my car) to look at.

It sounds like the steering wheel nut was put on too tight, and has pushed your steering wheel down to the point it is rubbing on the column sleave. Not a good thing. Glad to hear you are going to get that corrected right away. I'm pretty sure that there is an ammendment to the Constitution granting us the right to listen to Rock and Roll, even if there is a loose nut behind the wheel.

Scott

Quick Reply: I have a leak :(