Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

removing paint with a grinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: removing paint with a grinder?

I am currently stripping my hood done to the metal and then repriming it myself. I found out that Aircraft stripper in rattlecan form is not as effective(and more expensive) than the brushable/ form. Now im in the process of sanding it down smooth, sanding out the small bit of surface rust, and removing the small amount the stipper missed. DONT use a wire wheel on sheetmetal! It is too course. Im using 110 on a Mouse sander and then going back over it with 220.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

will just regular paint thiner get it off?????????? i just got a hole **** load of paint thinner from homedepote, the cans were dented, so i got each one for $1
Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

you could try it, but chances are its gonna work real slow or not at all.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

you could try it, but chances are its gonna work real slow or not at all.
UGH!!!!!!!!!!

ok, i have a kragen right down the street ( walking distance ) i am about to go there right now, what should i get to strip paint, this is the final answer. whats the best damn that removes paint.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Dont think that paint THINNER is gonna do it for you. Thinner is just that......a fluid to thin paint when it is sprayed on the surface...makes it thinner to go through the guns ports. You really need to use STRIPPER. Strippers are usually an acid base in a thick form.....thats to make it hold to the surface and bubble the paint. The acid in the stripper causes the paint to bubble and lift, thinner wont do this. If your paint has been on the car for a long period of time....the thinner just aint gonna do the trick. Go to Wal-Mart and look at thier strippers, thats what I use when stripping parts on my airplane and it works like a charm. Also...get some real heavy rubber gloves (the heavier the better), not the flimsy kitchen kind, the acid will eat those up like nothing and your burn your hands and fingers (been there done that). And good luck...paint stripping is a pain but when you get done you;ll have a hot new paint job and something to be proud of.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah forgot to mention....get some of the cheap wooden handle paint brushes to apply the stripper with, and some of those green scrubbing pads (the kind that mom uses in the kitchen for cleaning pots and pans). "Paint" the stripper on liberally and wait for about 5 or 10 minutes...then dip the scrubbing pad in some stripper and jsut scrubb the old paint off.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Sean W.
4th Gear Member

ok
paint stripper..

how much money should i bring with me to kragen? kragen should have paint stripper right....
Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

For the whole car, take about a hundred bucks with you.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

HI,
I did what highhiller did. Using a Makita sander with 80 grit. Took a weekend. Well two because I had to do it twice!! [:@] Long story but I sprayed my own paint and it was defective!![:@][:@][:@] They would only cover the cost of the paint. [:@] [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] The end result was good IMO.
Walt

[IMG]local://upfiles/18678/7655937B4CD946E29471E5CE21B18B31.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Ste7of1
1st Gear Member

3M makes a soft stipping wheel in a couple of thicknesses for a 4" grinder. The material is green and looks like the green pot scrubbers used for washing the dishes. Advance Auto sells them and I suspect most other auto stores. They work suprisingly well and don't leave any scratches in the metal. I wish I had found them sooner. I started with the sandpaper and even with 150 found some scrathes when an edge would catch. 3M disks were the answer; about $ 8.00 or so each. figure on about 4 for the bulk of the car.

Quick Reply: removing paint with a grinder?