Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what is it exactly that i need to covert to manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:36 AM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

Default what is it exactly that i need to covert to manual?

Hi guys,
i like my 3 speed auto, but it aint cutting it...I WANT A MANUAL TRANNY
what is it exactly that i need to do in order to convert from auto to manual...
i hope you guys can help before i go on ebay and start bidding like crazy on parts i dont need...
what about a cable clutch linkage?
has anyone on this forum done the auto to manual swap successfully?
3,4,or 5 speed?
my neighboor has a rebuilt 3 speed that he will sell me with the bellhousing and pressure plate for $300 hundred dollars...
what do you guys think?
THANkYOU VERY MUCH, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST
Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what is it exactly that i need to covert to manual?

there is no point to go from 3 speed auto to manual except for the shifting part. if you do a swap got 4 or 5 for performance reasons. if you go 4 there is not a huge amout of work except getting the pedal assembly and all the parts... if you go 5 theres only a few more hours of work then a 4 and its worth it, cost alot more for a 5 btw. some ppl dont like cable clutch setup bet i love it! i dont like hydrolic to much an i hate mechanical. im sure you will get alot more feedback tomorrow but let us know what tranny you want then we can list parts for ya!

PS: 3speed are not worth that i pretty much gave it away because there a dime a dozen( no seriously a dime)
Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
vanceboro

I am in the process of putting a 5 speed in my former auto/six 67 fastback. I will tell you what I have run up against. The first thing I needed was the brake/clutch pedal assy. You will pay dearly for this. I found mine on e-bay. Depending on engine, (mine is a 351w) flywheels and clutches are not hard to find. I mistakendly bought a 164 tooth flywheel and the matching 11 in clutch. it is too large in diameter to fit the aftermarket bellhousing. My drive shaft didn't need reworking but I was lucky. Sometimes the splines are different or the length is wrong. Good Luck,
Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

ok so the 3 speed is out the window!...im now deciding on the 4 or 5 speed...is there big performance differences or is it about the same?...really, i thought that the 4 speed top-loader was way more expensive...if i go with the cable clutch do i need the "z" bar and all its components like bushings, springs, ect...or just the clutch and pedal assembly?...around how much do you guys think it will run me for 4 speed and around how much for a 5 speed?
THANKS
Old 10-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

a nice 4 speed will be around 600-700 a nice t5 will be around 1200 but you can get a t5 out of any fox body mustang for a few hundred. also you can get 4 spped alot cheeper to im giving the most you should ever pay so you dont get fooled. go t5 because of od gear if you get a 4 the top speed will be the same as a 3 speed both 3 and 4 have a 1:1 gear ratio. so go t5 for performance and gas. and all you need for a cable clutch is a quadrent on the pedal and it adjusts on the fork. any questions ask alot of us have done these swaps
Old 10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I did a T5 swap into my 67 289 coupe (now has a 351W, but from the trannys point of view there isn't any difference). The only thing I regret is not buying more stuff from Modern Driveline. I did have to have a new drive shaft made, mine was about half an inch too long.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:28 PM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys...on that note im going with the T5!...Do i need 1200 just for the tranny itself or for the entire swap?...on ebay right now there selling these three clutch & pedal assembly units...
1.assembly unit
2.assembly unit
3.assembly unit
out of the three, which one is better? what other parts am i going to need? should i buy my tranny used, rebuilt, or new?
YOU GUYS ARE VERY HELPFUL THANKS!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Here are some websites to check out.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/
http://www.keislerauto.com/ford/tran...p#kit_contents
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/07/clutchcable/
Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONYBOY65

thanks guys...on that note im going with the T5!...Do i need 1200 just for the tranny itself or for the entire swap?...on ebay right now there selling these three clutch & pedal assembly units...
1.assembly unit
2.assembly unit
3.assembly unit
out of the three, which one is better? what other parts am i going to need? should i buy my tranny used, rebuilt, or new?
YOU GUYS ARE VERY HELPFUL THANKS!
it depends what you can afford...id prob get a used one...but it would be sweet to get a new one....
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

what do you guys think about the third one?...the first one is in poor condition...and the second one is going to be super expensive!

Quick Reply: what is it exactly that i need to covert to manual?