Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:06 AM
mormonstang

Default need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra

ok, the thing that is bothering me is the speed factor. I love the looks of both, so they are in a tie there. I don't really care that the 68 is a collectors item. What I need to know is which one can be made to go faster for cheaper. Now I can get a 68 fastback with no motor or transmission for 6 grand, but it's painted and everthing. It use to be a drag car. Now I want to put a 351w in it, which I shouldn't have a problem with anyway that is what the other guy had in it before me. Now I can get a 04 cobra for around 24 grand, and not worry about fixing it up and everything. Get some turbos on the cobra and it's ready to run about 800 hp.

What I need to know is if the 68 can be made to go as fast, if not faster than the cobra. I have always thought that the 68 could be made to go faster for cheaper, anyway you don't have to obey certain laws, emmisions. So I need help on this decision. Much help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra

68, no emmissions, easy as hell to work on, can be made to go fast
Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM
mormonstang

here is another reply from www.vintage-mustang.com, this is why I'm asking. I always thought the older cars were easier, but then this guy told me I was wrong.

"Hey mormonstang, getting crazy horsepower out of an '03 cobra is a whole different ball game than this thread. And that "stock" svt motor came off the lot with a whole crap-load of high performance parts. A forged steel crank, H-beam connecting rods. 4valve / 4 cam heads that were designed to work with a boosted engine. "Stock"....I guess you're techically correct, but that won't help a budget minded builder get to 800hp with a pushrod motor.

If I was determined to get over 600hp into a 67-68, I would be seeking out a used 03-04 cobra motor. I have seen them sell on ebay for 4-5k.

I have seen people pump tons of money and time into vintage big-blocks and not get over 600hp.

JMHO

mark
BTW: daily driver...'04 cobra..435hp w/ only bolt-ons. "
Old 10-22-2006, 07:09 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mormonstang

here is another reply from www.vintage-mustang.com, this is why I'm asking. I always thought the older cars were easier, but then this guy told me I was wrong.

"Hey mormonstang, getting crazy horsepower out of an '03 cobra is a whole different ball game than this thread. And that "stock" svt motor came off the lot with a whole crap-load of high performance parts. A forged steel crank, H-beam connecting rods. 4valve / 4 cam heads that were designed to work with a boosted engine. "Stock"....I guess you're techically correct, but that won't help a budget minded builder get to 800hp with a pushrod motor.

If I was determined to get over 600hp into a 67-68, I would be seeking out a used 03-04 cobra motor. I have seen them sell on ebay for 4-5k.

I have seen people pump tons of money and time into vintage big-blocks and not get over 600hp.

JMHO

mark
BTW: daily driver...'04 cobra..435hp w/ only bolt-ons. "

well if Mark is comparing a supercharged engine to a naturally aspriated engine, well yeah it is tougher to make power without something forcing air into the engine. And putting a 4.6L in anything older than a 79 Mustang will cost alot more than its worth. 800hp with pushrods isnt that tough with a turbo or blower. I think I am happy I am not over there, and I avoid the arm chair mechanics on most sites.

64-73 Mustangs are much lighter than 03-04 cobras. they dont break IRS pieces because a 9" is an easy bolt in swap and some came stock with them. They are easy to work on yourself, you dont need $800+ worth of computer software to allow you to change things. the statement is silly and biased, while being based on conjecture and misconeptions.

If he wants to see some highly powerful pushrod ford engines, he only needs to check out the NMRA 5.0L power adder classes. he may as well compare apples to apples. Yes 600hp NA on pump gas takes some effort, but just add a turbo or blower and all of a sudden you need a much better chassis to actually drive it. I wonder how much power a 4.6L Cobra engine makes with no blower.. Alot less than 600hp..

Choose what you like, and if you want to run fast cheap, well its tough to beat old cars that are depreciated. Having built a car for $5000 (including purchase price and insurance for a year) that ran 11s while being streetable and using garden variety parts, I can honestly say you cant make a new car go that fast as cheaply, simply because you still gotta buy the car and pay for it. Oh and it want a grenade either, it ran brackets and did street cruising/street racing for 6 years. it now has a bigger badder engine, but that is another story. you could however race dynos... I have seen more than a few 500rwhp cobras running high 12s.. lol..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

i honestly didnt read a single word of the post besides the title due to various visual imparement reasons right now....but i can honestly say....68 fastback over frigging any newish stang....for more reasons than can be remembered right now....how about this one..."your just the average dou*cHe bag with a newish stang...with a 68, fastback especially, your a unique person / badass.....it will get more attention than a dime a dozen modern stang....
Old 10-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I've been looking at the 04' - 06' Mustangs recently. Not that I need one, I've 5 cars in my yard as it is. I was looking mainly for my wife and wanted to go the GT route.

After looking at the 25+ grand stickers, I've decided to look for a completely done Fastback to get her. I just can't see spending that kind of money on something everyone and their grandma is driving atm and what the cost of repairs will be on something like that when I can't do the work myself.

Sure, there's some modern things I'll miss out on, even may behind the power curve some, but I won't be like everyone else, which is something I've never done in my life

IMO, of course.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if your going for pure speed hard to beat the terminator its a 12second are from the factory with slicks and is super tuneable esp with a pulley change the power only goes up it hooks like crazy from the factory so u can put the power to the ground.

the vintage iron can have gobs ow power but puttin it to the ground will be the challenge unless u mini tub
Old 10-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I have a slightly different opinion than most guys regarding the old classics and the new Mustangs. I drive a 65 stock coupe and I also drive an 03 Mach1 that I have added some performance bost ons to it. I dearly love my 65 for the sheer joy of driving a classic, but for power and reliability, I depend on my Mach. I know a lot of guys can't afford two Mustangs, but that is the route I chose to go.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

buy the 68, make it fast, in 10 years, sell it and buy 10 cobras
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

heres my 2 cents. Luckily, the 68 Mustang has a nice big engine bay so you can drop a big motor in there, then do some mods like a cam, intake, carb, heads, exhaust and so on. And I bet you could get it to haul you know what. And yes, it is special cuz its different. However, I'm not gonna lie, the 04 Cobra with the 4V DOHC engine is not to screwed with either since it starts with 390HP. Now lets take a look at the extra benefits: both cars will attract chicks, both cars are fast, both cars are fun. The 68 would probably be cheaper in the long run with mods, but if you need to restore it, then thats gonna cost also. Good look with the decision.

Quick Reply: need help deciding between a 68 fastback, or a 04 cobra