Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

im starting my first project engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:13 PM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default im starting my first project engine.

well i decided that im going to do my own project engine even though i love my 347 from coast high performance i decided that i want to build my own engine. the engine that i found is a 351c for 500 bucks the guy said its rebuildible and the heads are high performance and they came stock like that. so im thinking of wether to buy it and stroke it to a 427 or bigger im not sure yet any suggestions?? also if im going to build a stroker engine how will i know how much hp im going to put out? the engine i have right now is puttin out 560 or so and hopefully with the cleveland i can put out more than that or around that area. also what kind of heads would i have to get?? i mean i want some good heads i was thinking about gettin the 427 kit from coast high as well as there heads from there or from edelbrock ... but how can i make the same or more hp rating??cuz i dont want to buy a kit that going to produce less hp than mine. so this is going to be my first engine build and i would like to get all the help i can get thanks alot!!! oh yeh also im think of supercharging lol (just a thought)
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 AM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: im starting my first project engine.

If you are building a street Cleveland, I would go with the 2bbl heads. They work well and I'm assuming the motor you found is a 2bbl motor. The 4bbl. heads are great but they have lousy low rpm characteristics. Just make sure it's a Cleveland and not a 351m. They look the same but the "M" is a bit wider and taller. Cleveland's were only made from late 70 to 74. What year car are you putting it in? Early cars require quite a bit of cutting (put one in a 66 coupe once) to fit a Cleveland. I'm a big fan of Cleveland's but unless I was building a Boss 351 clone, I'd go with a Windsor for ease of installation and abundance of aftermarket parts.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:30 PM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

well thanks for the info and i just decided to back of the cleveland, so im going to with the windsor like you said, but it going to be biatch to find one around my hood but ill manage to find one either way. lol but yeh what do u think the should 351w should be stroke to ?? 408, 416, or the mighty 427 im still deciding, i was thinking the bigger the better!! but i dont want my car to be going all out dragster lol i just want it pro-street lol
Old 08-05-2004, 01:06 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Exactly which 347 did you get from Coast High Performance and how did you find their service? Did the engine live up to what they said it would do or not? Would you buy another engine from them in the future? Were there any problems and is so, did they work with you to resolve them fairly?
I'm thinking about buying a new engine and I would really like to know what you think of Coast High Performance.
Thanks,
roundman
Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

the 347 dominator is what i have with 560 (with the added parts) i mean they good and they live up to thier standards, i just want to build the engine just for kicks and if im not feeling the engine that i built than im going to sell it and keep the 347. im going to install the 347 in my dads convert so i mean im not going to let the 347 go to waste lol but im still deciding what to stroke it to. i was at a lil car show and i was talking to people and they told to get a windsor from ford motorsports and stoke it to a 408 which should gain me around 600hp which is where my goal is but i mean im i dont get know with it then im going to put the 347 back in its home where she belongs lol buying a new engine from them is great just tell them what u want and they work with u very well im going to get the stroker kits from them so i mean well see how it goes.