Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Should I Buy This? (Pics)

Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Should I Buy This? (Pics)

I say go for it too!

For probably another 6,000 it could be really nice and super awesome for another 3000 making it a 10,000 total investment. it just depends on how much you want to spend. you could probably make it road worthy for only a few thousand.

Good luck

Gun
Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I bought Ol' Yeller about 10 years ago for 5K, but it didn't have any damage or rust. Since then, I paid 5K for a body restoration and a few thou for interior and wheels. Right now I have over 11 grand in this car, and that is not with any engine, tranny, etc. overhauls becase she is original. You can get into these cars upside down with the value thing real quick if you don't watch it. So, decide ahead of time if you want to keep it after you restore it, or fix it up for resale. That course of action and plan will determine just how far you take the restoration process. Then, there is always the decision to either keep it original or restomod it. Decisions, decisions. We have guys on here with absolutely beautiful restomods that they have spent upwards of 30 grand. Here's a pic of my original restoration, and I drive it daily, and I mean daily. I just got back from the drug store.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Glen, What are you gonna do when you need to rebuild your engine?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That will be a long time from now because my 289 is running like a top, and burns no oil, and the valves and stems are good to go with proper maintenance. Yes, I use a lead substitute and I change my oil and filter at least every 3K miles with a new Motorcraft filter and Rotella oil. I put new shoes on the back a few months ago, and the E brake works a lot better now. The whole car stops a lot better too. However, when and if I need to overhaul the engine, I will overhaul it myself, and put all new stock parts in it. She is a cruiser, not a race car, and was never designed to be a race car. She is definiitely not a Shelby. I have my Mach for that. I have been considering the disk brake swap with Dennis's kit, and will be driving into Austin in a week or so and take my 14" aftermarket Mag 500 wheel with me to see if the kit will fit my Mags. If it does, then I will most likely get his kit for $445.00 cash and upgrade the front brakes. Otherwise, my old shoe brakes work just fine. Someone asked if the stock 14X5 wheels would work with his disk brake setup, and the answer is absolutely NO, as you figured out.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

$1000 for any classic that has a decent chassis and a clean title is a decent price. For something that runs, it's a steal.

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I bought Ol' Yeller about 10 years ago for 5K, but it didn't have any damage or rust. Since then, I paid 5K for a body restoration and a few thou for interior and wheels. Right now I have over 11 grand in this car, and that is not with any engine, tranny, etc. overhauls becase she is original. You can get into these cars upside down with the value thing real quick if you don't watch it. So, decide ahead of time if you want to keep it after you restore it, or fix it up for resale. That course of action and plan will determine just how far you take the restoration process. Then, there is always the decision to either keep it original or restomod it. Decisions, decisions. We have guys on here with absolutely beautiful restomods that they have spent upwards of 30 grand. Here's a pic of my original restoration, and I drive it daily, and I mean daily. I just got back from the drug store.
I am starting to understand....
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

$1000 for any classic that has a decent chassis and a clean title is a decent price. For something that runs, it's a steal.

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I am starting to understand....
Yeah, we old farts have aches and pains you younguns haven't started to realize yet. Just wait. Your time is coming.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I would have it my driveway by now if I were you.

Hey Glen, do you think some of your cactus will grow in my front yard?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

I would have it my driveway by now if I were you.

Hey Glen, do you think some of your cactus will grow in my front yard?
Absolutely. I have about 8 different native to this area cactus plants in pots that I plan to plant in that front area come Spring. If you need some, email me, and we can hook up. These cactus plants need little water, but if they are planted in a wet area with some sun, they do just fine. The blooms in the Spring are just beautiful.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Glen, he lives in alaska.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: tylerdru

Glen, he lives in alaska.
Well, then I guess my cactus plants will suffer throuh the winter but will spring back during the summer. When I was stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska back in the latre 60's, we used to go view all the flowering plants while driving on the main road from Anchorage. The soldiers back then used to dry the red flowering weeds and smoke them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Buy This? (Pics)