Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351W Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default 351W Mods

ok, im looking into mods for the old 351W we pulled out of the mustang. I have plans to put it into a 73 ranchero that i want to get. I have my heart set on a holley street avenger (possibly the old one, if its the right size) edelbrock intake (have one, if its good, ill keep it) and i want a 393 stroker kit. Id like to know where the best one to get one at a reasonable price is, and what brands of things i should get, and what ill need. i also need input on the kind of cam i should get, and heads, lifters, springs, and rockers. which should i get. I want power, but i also dont want a super-lope, but i want a lope. umm. finially, id like ideas on what kind of power id make. im gonna probably get some tri y longtubes, a good radiator, and finially, what kind of oil punp/distributor/wires/spark plugs id need to make it run right.

oh yeah, what kind of tranny would i need, and what kind of clutch/pressure plates are good

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 351W Mods

Why not a 408 stroker I work for an engine builder we can build you a 408 with eagle crank and rods forged pistons moly ring. Custom grond cam roller lifters and rockers, dart or RHS heads. For $4,995.00. If you want to give me a call tomorrw I will find out how much we sell the crank kit for. We mostly sell the 347 ford and 383 chevy kits, but I don't think they list the 408, 418, 427, or 432 kits on line. You can reach us at 704 888-8111.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

eeerrrrmm...whats a lope?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Lotsa questions, some answers.

To get a little lope, stick in the mid to upper 220 duration @ 050 range with a centerline around 112 (114 would be less lopey, 110 more...in general). Get as much lift as you can with those specs. I like Comp Cams and would recommend double checking my numbers (and any others you may hear) with their tech line by telling them your plans. Of course, they'll set you up with a good timing set, lifters, springs, push rods, guide plates, studs, and rocker arms.

A good dual-plane intake like the Stealth or Performer RPM works well (Performer is not so good for modified engines).

I didn't have any problem with Brothers Performance, but Summit is also a good source for strokers and other parts. I'm partial to cast iron heads, and you can get some good flowing cast iron heads from several companies, including RHS, which has a new series of heads that received some good review recently in MM&FF.

I generally run high volume pumps for a little added insurance. I like to have the bypass spring set to 11 psi per 1000 rpm I intend to redline. This does rob some power, but I'd rather have my engine last longer than gain 0.1 MPH in the 1/4.

MSD makes some very good ignition systems. Just run some Autolite copper plugs...no need for platinum in my book for a hot engine.

You should have no problem getting over 400hp with decent drivability.

A 393 needs around 700cfm to run at 6k.

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

ok, im looking into mods for the old 351W we pulled out of the mustang. I have plans to put it into a 73 ranchero that i want to get. I have my heart set on a holley street avenger (possibly the old one, if its the right size) edelbrock intake (have one, if its good, ill keep it) and i want a 393 stroker kit. Id like to know where the best one to get one at a reasonable price is, and what brands of things i should get, and what ill need. i also need input on the kind of cam i should get, and heads, lifters, springs, and rockers. which should i get. I want power, but i also dont want a super-lope, but i want a lope. umm. finially, id like ideas on what kind of power id make. im gonna probably get some tri y longtubes, a good radiator, and finially, what kind of oil punp/distributor/wires/spark plugs id need to make it run right.

oh yeah, what kind of tranny would i need, and what kind of clutch/pressure plates are good

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

eeerrrrmm...whats a lope?
It's what you get with bigger cams, poor idle quality and low vacuum, not a good thing for the street or daily driver. It's good for a high reving beast though.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:29 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

yeah, mustanglover, i would, but i dont have a car, and this is speculation, i will probably start around march of next year. and i want a kit to do it myself. Eagle you say, ill look into it. Im not looking for a huge lope, just a noticable one. I think the carb it has is at least a 700cfm, im gonna check. thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

i just took a look at the old carb, and its monstrous!. it could very easily be a 700 cfm. how do you tell?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:57 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

i just took a look at the old carb, and its monstrous!. it could very easily be a 700 cfm. how do you tell?

get the product number off of it, go to manufacturors website and type in the number
Old 10-24-2006, 03:20 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

yeah, its a holley street avenger.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

ok, i found the #, and its a 670cfm, would that be good for the kind of mods im requesting, or should i go bigger?

Quick Reply: 351W Mods