Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Convertible RestoMod

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM
grpowrie

Default 65 Convertible RestoMod

I am looking for a little direction in a couple of areas of my restomod of a 65 convertible. I am installing a 94 GT engine, automatic and twin turbos. I have a question about the side windows right now. Has anyone installed one piece side glass on first gen? If so, where can I go to get more info?
Next question. Has anyone attempted to install a newer convertible interior in a first gen car?
How about the aftermarket Mustang II front suspension?
Thanks.
Greg
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 65 Convertible RestoMod

ORIGINAL: grpowrie

I am looking for a little direction in a couple of areas of my restomod of a 65 convertible. I am installing a 94 GT engine, automatic and twin turbos. I have a question about the side windows right now. Has anyone installed one piece side glass on first gen? If so, where can I go to get more info?
Next question. Has anyone attempted to install a newer convertible interior in a first gen car?
How about the aftermarket Mustang II front suspension?
Thanks.
Greg
i dont think the 94 engine would fit in te 65 engine bay, and about the interior, why would you want a new uglier style interior?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

'94 is still a 5.0 so it will fit just fine. It's the turbo placement that will be critical. Not much air flow as it is in the engine compartment.
As for the glass and MII suspension, You might do a search on Ring Brothers, or K.A.R., or Unique Performance. I've not seen any kits (but I haven't looked closely either). Also there are a few kits for adding MII. If you do that I would suggest a full cage, and major frame support. That much power will really twist the crap out of the unibody.
The glass wouldn't be that hard to do. If you can do a twin turbo 5.0 and not split the block, or over heat before the end of the block, then the glass should be childs play.

Good luck,
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

1) The glass would have to be a completely custom cut, but im sure it can be done if your ready to spend the money.

2) As scott already said, the 94's are 5-liters so that will go right in. You may run into clearance issues between the passenger side shock tower and the air intake inlet elbow. The 94's (unlike the fox bodies) had an elbow extension that comes off the upper manifold, which increases the amount of space the air inlet tube takes up. If you look at LoganCL's 5.0efi conversion in his 65, you will notice that his inlet tube is RIGHT up against the shock tower. I think with the 94 extension that may be an issue for you.

3) Twin turbos - its going to be a tight fit and its going to be hard to get good airflow to them without doing some heavy modding to the front facia of these older mustangs. I suggest you look into the SN65 project (google it). You can see a simple (yet very crude) solution they did by cutting louvers into the front apron. An alternative would be to switch to an R-model style fiberglass front apron (like the ones sold at MustangsPlus.com) and then somehow route your turbos air intakes in this area. Again, its going to be a tight *** fit.

4) Modern interior in the classics - Again take a look at the SN65 fastback project. They used an entire 03 cobra drivetrain and interior and transplanted it into a 65 fb. Personally, I think if you pursue that (especially in a convertible which can expose the interior much more than coupes and fb's) its going to look like ****. jmo.

5) The front suspension is hardly an issue for you right now if you're thinking about installing a twin turbo'ed setup. I would focus on strengthening the rear and updating the rear suspension by adding subframes, a rear sway bar, and possibly even traction bars because you are going to need the updated suspension to be able to put the power to the ground. And of course new leafs and shocks are a must.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

5) The front suspension is hardly an issue for you right now if you're thinking about installing a twin turbo'ed setup. I would focus on strengthening the rear and updating the rear suspension by adding subframes, a rear sway bar, and possibly even traction bars because you are going to need the updated suspension to be able to put the power to the ground. And of course new leafs and shocks are a must.
I'd be going coilovers all round and rack and pinion steering and motherf@#$@$g huge brakes...oh and a parachute, full 6 point race harness and a buxom blonde (for the airbags)...cant wait to see this thing in action. Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

the mustang2 kit is useless unless you need to remove the shock towers
Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

the mustang2 kit is useless unless you need to remove the shock towers
he may have to with a TT setup which means that its not a useless idea.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:23 PM
2bav8
2nd Gear Member

I've seen several TT 65-66 Mustangs with shock towers still in place.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

well IMO i think that getting MII suspension would help a lot with the removal of the shock tower to fit both turbos in.

here is a place that gives a good deal and i have been thinking about it for a long time
http://www.heidts.com/heip17.htm

and here is an article about people using it
http://www.heidts.com/images/art5.pdf