Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rust Above Blower motor Opening?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Rust Above Blower motor Opening?

Hey, i took off my fenders while i was replacing the panel by the battery.( this is on a 1971 mustang fastback) While during this, i was taking off everything in the engine bay and planning on repainting it. While taking everything off, i noticed that there was actualy the most rust infront of the passenger side windshield/ infront of glove box. There is a circle, blower motor intake that is rusted fully though and the panels above it are shot. Does anyone know of where i can get these panels?? Also, When it gets water in the honeycomb grills behind the hood, the waters drains down the pass side, right into the blower motor hole?? I havent had the carin the rain so i wouldnt know, but thats where it seems like it would go, is this just bad ford engineering? This seems like a big problem because half of the panel is under the front windshield. Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think of this. My main concern is that water will just drain through the top 2 holes and go right into my interior through the blower hole. -Jon

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...PICT0002-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...PICT0005-1.jpg
Old 10-25-2006, 12:38 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rust Above Blower motor Opening?

yikes!! i have to go check mine out now.... i have never seen it rust out there before on any of my mustangs
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, those are your cowl buckets that have rusted out. You will need to replace your cowl. If your cowl wasn't also rusted, you could do a patch job, but yours is shot. Sorry, but that is about the most expensive and time consuming job you can do on a classic Mustang. We have an article or two in the FAQ section that explains how it is done. Basically, you have to drill out over a hundred spot welds to get the old rusty cowl out before you can replace it with a new one.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

.... does the front windshield have to be removed?? And where can i find a new cowl? -Jon
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

do they even make them on the 71-73 mustang? i can say i have seen them out there.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Yonco

.... does the front windshield have to be removed?? And where can i find a new cowl? -Jon
Yes, the windshield has to be removed. Get the article from the FAQ.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: shr

do they even make them on the 71-73 mustang? i can say i have seen them out there.
That may be a problem with just finding aftermarket cowls for 71-73. If so, then he is going to have to bend and cut some sheet metal and then crank up the welder. I don't envy anyone having to do that nasty job.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Hey... Im thinkin that a lil to much work for me! I was thinkin... ill take out the glove box, and cut the rust circle out, then weld a plate covering up that hole, from the inside of the interior. Then compltely cover it from the top. and paint it so its rustproof. The fixinf the other rust panel( fender rest) and that should be good. Just get rid of the blower motor hole and cover it! -Jon
Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Well, if you don't plan on having a heater, defroster or fresh air, then go ahead. But if you do want a heater, defroster and fresh air, then here is a step by step method to repair your cowl.
http://mustangbarn.com/Cowl_Vent_Repair.htm
Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

well... cant i suck in air from the pass side floor?? besides... fresh air = windows! I cant really drive the car in the rain the way it is because the window mouldings are bad and leak anyways! i still havent driven it in the rain, but just washing it i noticed that. -Jon

Quick Reply: Rust Above Blower motor Opening?