Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how to turbo a V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: how to turbo a V8

Why are you posting that on the classic section?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

fair question...been a lot of talk about turboing classic v8's on the forum lately. i figured if you are going to overkill, do it properly. heres an example how.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:03 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the hellion set up would be a little more classic friendly as most here are running the 289/302 and 351w setups it could be easily adapted to a vintage stangs and ir from a guy who knows his fast mustang i beileve its john urists company? if i have the name correct? [8D]
Old 10-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Gun Jam

dang 1800+ hp?

thats about what a p51 mustang running a dual stage supercharger with war emergency power engaged on a Packard Merlin v12 puts out.

of course the car has 60+ years of hindsight. pretty wicked

Gun
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gun Jam

dang 1800+ hp?

thats about what a p51 mustang running a dual stage supercharger with war emergency power engaged on a Packard Merlin v12 puts out.

Gun
i thought it would appeal to you gun jam
I will be interested to hear from Mojoe and other restomodders

I like the P51 analogy. So... we'd be talking the Merlin v12 supercharged on emergency power putting it through a gearbox out of a Challenger tank, driveshaft from a small navy frigate. Specify your best diff and what size tyres needed for traction (at least in 5th or 6th gear)????
Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

ORIGINAL: Gun Jam

dang 1800+ hp?

Gun

i thought it would appeal to you gun jam
I will be interested to hear from Mojoe and other restomodders
Quite the setup, I can't deny that it wouldn't be nice having 1800+ hp at my disposal. But if I was ever going to do something like that I would at least either 1) run no hood at all and polish the crap out of the turbos and the manifold or 2) try and find a hood to cover those mammoths. The hood is just plain ghetto. Nice aesthetics makes cars go faster, I swear!

Oh and just for the record, I would take a P51 Mustang over an 1800+hp gto ANY DAY! Any of you guys been to the Reno National Air Races? (sorry soaring if this is getting too off topic[&:])

Old 10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

+1 on the P51
+1 on the dodgy hood... i'm thinking a large reverse scoop maybe
Old 10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

nice power but like the rest of us they messed the hood up they could have lowered the turbos and made a cowl to hide the manifold
Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The merlin made all of its power under 3000 rpm.. I seriously doubt that thing makes the same amount of torque as the merlin did. You can only spin a 20' daimeter prop just so fast before it becomes projectiles. There is also the displacement issue, bigger engines make more power at a lower rpm than smaller engines.

There have been cars built and driven with Merlins and Allison V12s from WWII era planes. They would top end great but they wouldnt ET. The engines were designed for relatively low rpm use over a long time period. Like 2500rpm for 8 hours at a time while making as much power as possible. A drag engine needs to rev quickly and push the car hard in each gear. You gear accordingly for your torque curve, and the problem with the aircraft V12s was you dont have enough gears, and you cant change them fast enough.

landspeed racing is where the Merlins and Allisons shined brightest in the automotive world. Put a steep gear behind it, even a 1:1 final drive with an overdrive trans and it will haul the mail, but it wont accelerate like a prostock engine making the same amount of power, at least not untill after 140mph, then it will pick up considerably..

Aircraft engines are like diesels in the rpm band they operate in. You dont want to spin them to 6000 rpm unless they are designed to turn that tight and have a gear reduction to the prop, because even a carbon fiber prop has rpm limits far less than the typical high performance automotive engine.

turbo engines make mad power thats for sure. the problem with them is the cost, all the exhuast tubing, wastegates, and other turbo specific things conspire to make them expensive. The power per dollar is up there, as long as the bottom end can handle it. its real easy to make stupid power with even a factory stock iron head, but the bottom end has to be pretty stout to hold the boost pressure. Just a bit too lean and you have a huge expensive chunk of scrap
Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
espskillz
1st Gear Member

wth 1800! i wana say that is to much but when it comes to too much horse power i dont think there is such thing. but niice car if i could afford the gas i would drive it.

Quick Reply: how to turbo a V8