Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Subframe Connector Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Default Subframe Connector Differences

Just curious about the pros and cons of the beam style subframe connectors vs. the tubular subframe connectors. Could people who have used either one of them let me know about what you like/dislike?

VS.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Subframe Connector Differences

I don't know about the vintage cars, but Ford put the beam connectors on my 03 Mach1, so I will assume that the Ford engineers are a tad smarter about this sort of thing than we are.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I don't know about the vintage cars, but Ford put the beam connectors on my 03 Mach1, so I will assume that the Ford engineers are a tad smarter about this sort of thing than we are.
well, ive always been told a tube is always stronger than a square, triangle whatever.....angles create weakpoints or something....anyways...i think they both accomplish the same goal, but are just differnt levels of "overdoing it"....and im sure its cheaper to make a square bar than it is to make a bent tubular bar....thats prob with it went on the production mach 1 u have....
Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

the rails look cleaner imo
Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

yeah i agree, if i was to pick from sheer looks standpoint, th square rail ones win....performance....id say its probably about the equivlent of either having an 8" trac-loc or 9" trac-loc and only having a 300hp 302....neither one is gonna break...and both are gonna get the same job done.....but the 9" would obviously be the "superior" choice even though it really dosent matter.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

yeah i agree, if i was to pick from sheer looks standpoint, th square rail ones win....performance....id say its probably about the equivlent of either having an 8" trac-loc or 9" trac-loc and only having a 300hp 302....neither one is gonna break...and both are gonna get the same job done.....but the 9" would obviously be the "superior" choice even though it really dosent matter.
I am going to have to differ with you Shifty. Square tubing offers extra strength that round tubing can't. Round tubing of comparable size will bend and warp easier than the same size square tube, also the welded joints on square tubes are considerable stronger than welded joints on round tubing. Ask anybody who builds trailers.......

Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to have to dis agree with the whole ford engineers are smart comment because i work at a for d dealership and working on fords is so bad that i want to burn some of the cars[:@][:'(]

but i do agree that square tubing is a lot stronger then round!!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

oh okay, i honestly dont know for sure either way, its jsut what i heard so im going with what you guys say too, good to know.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mlitz

I'm going to have to dis agree with the whole ford engineers are smart comment because i work at a for d dealership and working on fords is so bad that i want to burn some of the cars[:@][:'(]

but i do agree that square tubing is a lot stronger then round!!
I wish I had been smart enough to have graduated from M.I.T. and landed a cushy job working for Ford. I wouldn't be eating beans tonight.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

well i did not graduate yet but am working on it see in Oregon (not sure any were else) we have a program call ford ASSET it is a program that is ran by a near by community collage that ford makes you take before becoming a certified technician. it is real cool hear is what it is all about

http://www.mhcc.edu/pages/1202.asp
if you have any questions go ahead and ask i love people asking about what i do

Quick Reply: Subframe Connector Differences