Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

RestoMod

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
heavensonfire

Default RestoMod

I'm really about to dig into my 68 coupe, and the car is no where near show quality as far as numbers and so forth. So my decision is to just build the car to keep the car close to original, but go modern. I'm thinking best place to start might be either switching from 4 drums to at least front disc without buying the 1k kit. Or going to a 5.0 FI unless I can find a 5.4 lying around just not sure where to start and how to go about this in the most productive way. Car is just not getting started it was my daily driver before....Now its parked and time to restore.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default RE: RestoMod

What motor dos the 68 currently have?

I personally would start with disc brakes like the Granada Swap ($550) and upgrade the suspension some.

The 5.0 swap would be much more simple then the 5.4 Triton. THe SOHC motors are much larger then a 302 or 289.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
heavensonfire

It currently is a 302 4V with a C4. Rebuilding the engine is an option, but I figured why spend the money to build this engine(probably going to build for weekend strip) when I could go for a more conservative FI that would be more benefical in the long run. Torn between making it just a track car and not all that pretty to look at or a sleeper daily driver basically. Never thought of the Granada swap does year matter on that?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Check the FAQ on the granada swap. Also you can build a 347 from your 302, add some aftermarket heads and the EFI setup. It will all bolt on, and you dont need to find a new engine.. Putting a mod motor in a classic will require basicly lopping off the front end at the firewall and starting over. Sure it can be done, but is it really worth it when you can build a more powerfull engine MUCH cheaper?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:42 PM
heavensonfire

Ya I had thought about doing a 347 before just havent decided what the best bang for the buck is. Main reason for this is because the current engine came out of a late 70s bronco and its not the best engine in the world so not sure whether to find a new block or where to start thats what got me playing with the idea of the FI. Also I searched FAQ and I don't know if I was looking in the wrong place or what, but I was coming up dry. Thanks for the ideas
Old 10-26-2006, 04:46 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

If you wanna go modern, start with suspension. No matter the cubic inches, if you update the suspension you'll be set to handle any motor. If I had to pick between the 5.0FI and something like a 347 or even a new crate 302 from Ford, I would go with the carb power. Can beat the throttle response. Post some pics of your engine now, see if its worth overhaulin.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Suspension and brakes are where to start. i don't know your budget but a few companies offer coil over and front disc setups that come a a pair. Expensive but quality stuff. Some basic refreshing or a suspension kit would also be very benefitial. I saw a suspension kit in npd for around $400.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

We have several articles in the FAQ about the Granada disk brake swap from anywhere to going to a junk yard and robbing the parts off a used Granada to buying all new parts. Look for "Granada Disk Brake Swap". The kit mentioned earlier is sold in Austin, Texas by a guy named Dennis Ginsberg, and his price is real hard to beat at less than 500 bux for this month offered to MustangForums.com members. He also has a hell of an article written about exactly how to make the swap.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Whats wrong with a mid 70s block? So it needs bored. big deal. the only way I would scrap it is if it is cracked/broken, bored .060 or more already, or has rust so bad it cant clean up at .060 over. there isnt much difference in the older stuff. You gotta make alot of power with boost to break a stock block unless it breaks a rod or piston.

You could go with a 428, I know of one already built that is going for $9500, its a factory stock type rebuild aimed at a restoration.

otherwise a 351W, 351C, 390 or any other FE, and even a 460/429 will fit (with some work to get the 429/460 in there). My 67 is getting a 351C 4V that is making around 300-350hp, that should be plenty to have fun with. Its pretty much a stock engine with a well built bottom end and the open chamber 4V heads.

you can do the same with a 351W and some aftermarket heads, or a 302,331, or 347 with your current block. tehre are 347s pushin fox mustangs into the 9s, its not terrible dificult to do, but it isnt a slap it together sorta thing either
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM
70coupe
1st Gear Member

post some pics when you get a chance

Quick Reply: RestoMod