Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

smog removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 AM
ckebottle

Default smog removal

i have a smog question. the car has a 66 engine so it has smog parts on it. according to california law it does not need to be smogged anymore. i was wondering if anything related to smog can be simply removed or if it is more complicated than that. there is no belt on it and it was driven like that for several years

heres a pic to help give you a visual of the smog parts
Old 08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: smog removal

Don't worry about it. It don't really have any for smog on it. No smog pump or any thing like that.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

not that familiar with a California set-up, but it does look like you have an air pump on it. I think they used to pump some air into the exhaust manifolds to help burn any unburned fuel that came out of the cylinder, but since your's don't have a belt on the pump anymore, then I would think you could remove the pump and hoses and any lines from it just plug them where they connected to the manifolds.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Really! They had smog pumps on them? I never saw one when I was in cailf. I think they started putting them on in 68. not sure but surely not in 66.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:06 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

go back and look at the photo again. that sure looks like an air pump to me above the alternator. I think it was part of something that Ford called a Thermactor system that was originally used first on California only vehicles due to their pollution problems.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
ckebottle

i was told it was for smog, but then again my dad doesn't know too much. if it is a thermactor (air pump)
can i simply remove it? oh, and rounadman, if i can just take it out you said to plug it where it plugged in to the manifold, what would you recommdned to plug it with?

i really hate those two things. when i look at other 289's none of them have it. and it looks plain funky too! it looks like
a coffee can with a spout!

thanks for helping guys!
Old 08-07-2004, 07:57 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I looked at the picture again and I can't tell if the pump is hooked up to pull gases out of the crankcase via the breathers on the valve covers, if so, you might want to keep it, but since there is no belt driving it, it ain't doing anything, so I guess you could also take it off. I think the hard tubing line(s) connected to the exhaust manifolds are installed in a pipe threaded hole, so you could probably get the right size pipe plug from a hardware store and plug it with that.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Catch 22

Hi. My car came with the same smog system. You can use plugs with a pipe threaded hole or as I did since we here in Norway use the metric system so plugs with the right threading are hard to come by: cut the tubing lines close to the manifold and then squeese? them flat and bend them. Worked for me, but you`ll be better off with plugs.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:52 PM
ckebottle

used a plug...there was only one hose on it and i used an existing plug that was on the air thingy whatever its called.

catch 22....what did you do with that bracket thats attached near the fan? my uncle told me to remove the fan and then the pulley...is their easier way to get rid of that bracket?

here is a pic
and thank you both so much for your help!
Old 08-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Catch 22

Well I replaced it with an aftermarket fan, so I dunno. But its not that much work so go with your uncles advice

Quick Reply: smog removal